Ignition Switch Replacement

Old 11-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ignition Switch Replacement

Greetings all, I have a 1997 Ford F150 XLT that I need to replace the ignition switch on. It was recently stolen and recovered but the ignition switch needs to be replaced since the thieves busted it out with a screwdriver. It looks like the only parts I need is the housing and the cylinder with keys, etc. Where would I get these parts so that I could repair it myself and save a little money and how would I got about doing so. Local autoparts store, ford parts shop, etc? Please help me out! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-21-2004, 06:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am not sure that the auto parts store will have one but they might. For sure the Dealer will have it. You could also check out a locksmith. You might want to have a locksmith rekey it to the factory key. This will save you from needing two keys. one for the doors and one for ignition.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-25-2004, 04:34 AM
Angry Ignition Key

I have a 1987 Ford 150 4X4 XLT Lariat, also that was stolen, except they didn't get far. I got the truck they got away, but I need to replace my ignition cylinder. Purchased it complete with two keys for $30.00, but now its how to get at it to replace it.
Any help from anyonel

Old 11-25-2004, 08:48 AM
JMC

1 Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to the RUN position.

2 Insert a punch through the hole in the lower steering column shroud and push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by JMC
1 Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to the RUN position.

2 Insert a punch through the hole in the lower steering column shroud and push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.
Thanks, I will try this though I am having a hard time finding the hole in the lower steering column. I have heard you have to remove the steering wheel etc. Is this true.
djgourlie

Old 11-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Re: Ignition Switch Replacement

Originally posted by Tekg80
Greetings all, I have a 1997 Ford F150 XLT that I need to replace the ignition switch on. It was recently stolen and recovered but the ignition switch needs to be replaced since the thieves busted it out with a screwdriver. It looks like the only parts I need is the housing and the cylinder with keys, etc. Where would I get these parts so that I could repair it myself and save a little money and how would I got about doing so. Local autoparts store, ford parts shop, etc? Please help me out! Thanks in advance!
I just purchased my ingition cylinder from a company here in Canada and it costs me $30.00 and the dealer quoted me 140.00k to install it.
Cheapest I could find and that was a body shop.
Remind you this was also Canadian Dollars.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:24 PM
JMC

If you do not have a spare key or if the lock was damaged and the spare key doesn't work then you have to drill out the lock and that requires removing the wheel. The shavings will fall into the steering column and it must be removed to clean the bearings and gear.

JMC

Old 11-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by JMC
If you do not have a spare key or if the lock was damaged and the spare key doesn't work then you have to drill out the lock and that requires removing the wheel. The shavings will fall into the steering column and it must be removed to clean the bearings and gear.

JMC
Your not going to believe this but the part I bought for $30.00 worked fine , the body shop did the turn to run, pullled out the cylinder by pushing in the pin, re installed the new one and charged me $19.75 CDN $.
All done and works fine.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 AM
What type of store did you buy the new ignition switch at? I was curious if I could pick one up at some sort of AutoParts Store in my area or if going to the dealership to get the part was my only option.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:50 AM
What type of store did you buy the new ignition switch at? I was curious if I could pick one up at some sort of AutoParts Store in my area or if going to the dealership to get the part was my only option.
aUTO PARTS STORE LILE "aUTP zONE ETC."
iF YOU WANT ONE i WILL SEND YOU THE PART
dO YOU HAVE PAY PELL OR SOMETHING IKE THAT OR WE CAN WORK OUT A MONEY ORDER OR i CAN GIVE YOU THEIR WEBSITE ADDRESS. ( i A M NOT SURE IF THEY HAVE ONE OR NOT BUT i WILL CHECK AND LET YOU KNOW.

REGARDS

Old 11-26-2004, 12:53 AM
SORRY MY SPELLING WAS HORRIBLE. i CAN SEND YOU THE PART IF YOU CAN PRE PAY OR PAY ME IN RETURN, YOUR CHOICE.
INSTALLATION WILL BE YOUR DOING, BUT IT IS NOT HARD IF YOU GO TO A BODY SHOP INSTEAD OF A DEALER.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Replacement