When it rains, it pours...

Old 08-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it rains, it pours...

When I started replacing my spark plugs for the first time ever I discovered many problems I wish I hadn't known about. Besides my injector problem I ran into a another one. I shined my flash light into the T.B. with it open and noticed it looked a little dark. I stuck a piece of paper towel to whipe around in there and came back with black oilish gunk which 99.9% came from that POS K&N I had on it at one time. So basically I'm pretty sure the upper half of the intake is covered in that crap. Short of taking it off and having it vatted, what can I do? I've had no problems with my truck. The area in front of the butterfly on the T.B. is clean, its just behind the butterfly. Taking the upper half off is something I can do, however I would prefer to avoid the hassle if at all possible.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 PM
i also ha that oil stuff just like you described. but i dont have a k&n. i think it comes fron the tube that goes to the left valve cover. i cleaned mine with a can of TB cleaner. i sprayed some in an let it sit for a couple of mins. then start it and let it runa min. i did this till i used up the can. ran alot better and increased my mpg

Old 08-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Cool

If I am not mistaken you guys are talking about carbon in the upper intake. That is always there, you can take it off and clean it to the best of your ability, put it back on and drive. Check a week later and it will be there again, it is just part of the process of the operation of the motor. Don't worry about it, every gas vehicle in the world has it and does cause a problem.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 08-01-2004, 10:19 PM
I dont think its carbon. This is an oily smudge that looks like grease almost. I don't think this is too common at all. What causes this oily smudge? It should be clean throughout. I know its hendering my mpg and performance. There is no way its normal.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:35 PM
In your case the extra oil from the intake prob. mixed with the carbon that normally occurs. The carbon build up is somewhat normal as the pcv system vents in there. Throttle body cleaner will prob. clean it up no problem.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:16 PM
It's from the PCV system and it's normal for it to get dirty back there.

If your PCV valve is stuck open, you could be getting more than the normal amount of gunk in the intake. But they get pretty dirty even when things are working right. A new PCV valve is only a few bucks, so if you want some peace of mind you could start there.

Do a little google research on the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system.

Basically, hot oily fumes from inside your motor need to be vented out. Otherwise, pressure would build up and start blowing valve cover gaskets, etc...Since the fumes are oily and dirty, they can't be vented to the outside world. So they get directed into the intake system, behind the throttle body, to be burned up by the engine's combustion.

Overtime, the downstream side of the throttle body gets gunked up by carbon from the oil fumes. If it is really bothering you, you can try some spray throttle body cleaners to squirt in there, but they aren't going to get it all.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 08-01-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I've never seen the problem before. Thinking back to all the old carbureted vehicles I've worked on, I've never seen this problem. I replaced the PCV valve not too long ago. I also remember taking off the IAC to clean it, it was nothing like what is in the T.B.. I'm definitely going to clean it, just wondering what all besides having it vatted or using T.B. cleaner is there out there.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I just recently took off my tb elbow and polished up to a mirror image..drives better with better throttle response. My truck only has 12000 miles and it was kinda slimey...

Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Ok I did some research on PCV valve and stuff and I see what you guys are saying. Another question on cleaning it though. The article said that Ford uses a special coating on the inside to reduce the amount of build up and that cleaning it can remove that coating. Any comments on that?

Old 08-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Just use cleaner that is specifically for air intakes (ie, dont use brake cleaner), and you should be fine.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:43 PM
I had the same problem and used some Throttle Body Cleaner to clean it out and what a difference it has made. I will clean the TB every 6mths from now on to keep the engine performing as desired.

Use a "Throttle Body Cleaner", it is different from carbeurator cleaner and is designed not to remove the coating on the throttle body. You can get it at any auto parts store.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Can someone post a pic of what you are talking about and this is the same carbon build up that seafoam cleans out right?

Old 08-03-2004, 04:55 PM

here is a ported and polished pic of Neal the HP freak's...it's the crap at the bottom of the elbow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours...