Water in coil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in coil?

I hosed down my engine today and now it seems as though I have a misfire. The check engine light did come on. Now this may sound stupid, but this happened once with my wifes Grand Prix (washed engine, light came on, engine ran rough) when it happened to her car, I could care less. After about a week engine light was off and car ran fine. I guess it just dried up. Now back to my truck, I do care about my truck and want to find out what to do. Will the water just dry up? Or is something damaged, I looked and tried to remove the coils, but they are on tight.

BTW 2001 Supercrew F-150 4.6

Old 07-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You can remove the coil on plugs and blow out the spark plug holes with an air hose. If you can read the ODBII codes in your truck then you will know which spark plug hole to work on.

If the engine runs you could let it idle for 30 minutes (guessing about the length of time) and hope that it will evaporate most of the water out of your spark plug holes.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks, thats what I was thinking about letting it dry. It does run, at first it ran real bad, like multiple cylinders missing. Now it is only a slight miss. My main concern is if I continue to drive, will there be much worse damage, or will it just miss until all the water is gone.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The water in the spark plug hole can cause the spark voltage to jump to the spark plug hole wall instead of going thru the spark plug. I think the water might cause boot damage if it stays in the spark plug hole for a long time...

This describes the spark arc'ing through the boot to the spark plug hole wall...

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/te...h_mrbishi1.htm

I think quite a few folks think the spark plug or the coil on plug goes bad so they replace both to fix the problem when only the boot on the COP is bad. I don't know if the COP boot can be bought as a seperate piece.

Last edited by temp1; 07-04-2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:55 PM
the boot can be bought as a seperate piece 5 bucks a piece and when it does that that's what happens the boot goes bad and lets water get down in the spark plug hole,i've tried to tell people this but nobody seemed to wanna listen.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey thanks for all the help. Way fast, do you have a part # or something.

Update, this morning I let my truck run for about 40min then went out for a drive, and the check engine light was off. Drove around the block and all seems fine. I guess what little drops of water were in there dried up on their own.

Again thanks for the advice and I would still like to know how to go about just buying the boot for future references in case I try to clean my engine again.

Quick Reply: Water in coil?