Codes w/o a Code Reader?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Codes w/o a Code Reader?

I apologize for what is probably a common question, but I've spent 45 minutes reading and searching for another post that covers this and haven't found one.

My question is: can I get the codes to flash on the console on a 2001 F150 6 cylinder? My SES light is on, and the dealer wants $65 to read the codes for me. I have 35.9K miles, but more than 3 years so it's out of warranty. If the answer to my question is yes, where can I find a table that translates the codes.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Old 04-06-2004, 10:28 PM
In most states, Auto Zone will read the codes for free. They read mine last month when my ses light was on.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
All 96-on Ford vehicles require the use of a scanner to read the stored codes.

A really inexpensive one is available from Harbor Freight.

You're probably better off getting the $130 one from Advance Auto Parts. See www.partsamerica.com and see if it is still on sale.

Otherwise, call around to some of the chain parts stores to see if they offer code scanning. If you use this service, WRITE DOWN THE CODE NUMBERS, then SEARCH here for prior discussions to see if your codes are easily solved. Ask if you need additional assistance.

Steve

Old 04-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Talking

thanks guys. i changed the fuel filter, the oil, and the air filter today. if that doesn't make a difference, i'll stop by autozone sometime and give it a try. the dealer did say many ERG sensors are being replaced, and the warranty has been extended 2 yrs to cover that. but the codes have to support it, or i pay. reading several posts on this site, it could be either that or the O2 sensors.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
take it to autozone, they're pretty good about reading the codes. also, don't buy a code reader it's a waste of money... the $150 you spend on one could be put towards a superchips tuner and you get a code reader and 3 performance programs... my 2 cents

Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 PM
word of advice...if you get an SES light, dont just replace parts blindly, youll waste a TON of money that way.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Johngs, you got that right!
AdvanceAuto reads mine for free.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:23 PM
thanks again. light is still on, and fyi i agree about not blindly changing parts. so far i've done nothing that it wasn't already past time to do (air filter was supposed to be done 6K ago, oil and filter was a little past due, fuel filter was past due, etc.). I also changed to coolant cuz I've been on a roll and it too was overdue.

I was in a hurry yesterday, but made a trip to where i *thought* Autozone is--it was in fact an Advance Autoparts. Autozone was another half hour out of my way, so I couldn't make it.

Also FYI, Advance does not read your codes for you, but they give good directions to Autozone.

M

Old 06-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Thumbs up situation resolved--follow-up thanks

Finally got to AutoZone and had my codes read. Problem was the EGR valve. Based on what I learned here about Ford extending the warrenty for that problem, I had the dealer fix it for free. Not sure they would've offered up the info on their own. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Codes w/o a Code Reader?