Seaform took out O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Seaform took out O2 Sensor

I've seen several recent posts about the benefits of using the Seafoam product sold in NAPA stores. I tried it as the directions stated and it took out the front passenger side O2 Sensor (just bought it 3 months ago)! Has anyone else experienced this. The funny thing is I'm not seeing any code thrown, but I've been running with the AutoTAP OBDII software and checking the O2 Sensors and the O2 Sensor is not registering any voltage. I was hoping this was temporary, but it's not going away. How can I go back to NAPA without a code registering.

I would suggest that anyone considering using this to be extra careful!

Old 05-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If I remember correctly Seafoam is not supposed to be harmful to o2 sensors. How much did you use. Maybe it caused the cats to got hotter than usual and burnt a wire or something but Im just guessing at this point.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
I did exactly as the instructions said - nothing more, nothing less. I called NAPA and they said they sell this stuff by the cases and never heard of such a thing as an O2 sensor going bad. I wonder if they are told to say that?

Old 05-21-2004, 12:46 PM
stupid question BUT, is it hooked up (no broken wire) or an intermitten ground? can you switch the wire harness to read the good one to verify?

Old 05-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Someone said that the can says Seafoam is oxygen sensor safe. I have an empty can downstairs and I will see what it says. Yep, its says "Oxygen sensor safe" in big read letters.

Did you get lots of smoke when you used it? Maybe it blew a bunch of carbon deposits all over your sensor. (Guessing again).

Then again, if you do not have an ODBII code yet then maybe the problem is the Autotap software.

Last edited by temp1; 05-21-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:13 PM
I've seen many posts about SeaFoam and I dont think Ive ever seen anyone have their O2 sensors go bad because of it.

Old 05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
I have two cans of Sea Foam sitting in the truck - and I have the AutoTap OBDII. As an added bonus I have a spare O2 sensor as well.

If I get a chance this weekend I will try to repeat this sequence of events and post the results next week.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 PM
No CE light???
You have another problem my friend. If it (O2 sensor) isn't putting out anything, that should surely get you a MIL.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Well,
one can (16 oz ) sucked up - slowly, wondered about hydralic lock!- another 16 oz in a 1/2 tank of unleaded.

For now - with stuff in the gas tank _ runs GREAT!

Former hesitation - gone!

Still unsure about long term

On a tangential topic - OBD II softeware from AutoTAP is great - anyone ****ing around wiht 2### engines should see what the sensors are reporting>.In the end it is still gas and spark, but the OBD stufff is wonderful to support your guess!

John

Old 05-22-2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by DCLoppy
Well,
one can (16 oz ) sucked up - slowly, wondered about hydralic lock!- another 16 oz in a 1/2 tank of unleaded.

For now - with stuff in the gas tank _ runs GREAT!

Former hesitation - gone!

Still unsure about long term

On a tangential topic - OBD II softeware from AutoTAP is great - anyone ****ing around wiht 2### engines should see what the sensors are reporting>.In the end it is still gas and spark, but the OBD stufff is wonderful to support your guess!

John
I looked at Autotap the past couple days and I do have a laptop but have been unemployed for over 2 years. It would be a nice toy to have.

I figured that a couple of ounces in the cylinder could cause hydrolock but as long as the engine is warmed up good (hot) I think the Seafoam will foam and vaporize so hydrolock chances are nil unless you pour it in when the engine is not running or you could pour a hole bottle in within a few seconds.

I wonder how Brucescrew's O2 sensor thing is coming?

I think the Seafoam probably cleans mostly from the intake plenum on down into the cylinders but the intake manifold can get pretty dirty looking.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=149905

Last edited by temp1; 05-22-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm not exactly rolling in cash either, but IF you have, or have access to. a laptop, or palm pilot the kind of software ( and there are many vendors) offered by AutoTAP is money well spent.

The cost of "trial and error" replacements will quickly eat up the cost of the software.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bruce,

Was there voltage to the sensor before the SeaFoam treatment? Does the other sensor have voltage? It should vary above and below 0.45v from 0 to 1 VDC and never be negative. If it stays constant it means that it is no longer switching and it will set a code. It might not light the ses light but it will set a code. Have a look at the PCM codes it might not set an OBDII code.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 05-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Couple things about seafoam:

1) The product itself is not harmful to O2 sensors, the carbon deposits it knocks loose ARE.

2) A lot of times these deposits can be knocked loose by taking the car out and running it nice and hard.

3) Seafoam is petroleum based and will evaporate if you pull out a few plugs, you CAN NOT lock up an engine with it. Although you can fowl the plugs to the point of non-fire. As soon as you open the system to moving air it will dry up and you'll be fine.

Last of all, have you removed the O2 sensor and checked it for build up? Seems like a good move to me. If your running fine take it out and get on it, that’s how you're supposed to do it after you run some seafoam if you still have no voltage you just got screwed, replace it and move on

Old 05-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Still no voltage reading on the O2 sensor. I was measuring a number of sensors and other parameters the day before and the day after using the Seafoam, that's how I could tell the O2 sensor voltage was at 0. I will replace the O2 sensor and move on, but I won't use Seafoam again! The other O2 sensor is still working and I suspect that if it wasn't working properly I would be experiencing other problems. I have a Kenne Bell supercharger and using a water/alcohol injection system and most likely it's steam cleaning the engine anyway from what I've read. Eventually, I'll be installing a new built engine and will tear down this one to see how well the W/A injection really works.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I use a bottle of Valvoline Complete Fuel System Treatment in my vehicles once per year and it always makes a noticeable difference. It costs about $9/bottle and it says on the bottle to use it every 12K miles. I suppose it is just a strong fuel injector cleaner. It is added to the gas. I just bought a bottle from AutoZone.

Quick Reply: Seaform took out O2 Sensor