Tune up on a F150 running CNG help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up on a F150 running CNG help

Greetings,

I have a 2000 Ford F150 with the bi-fuel package. The truck has been very good to me over the last 4 years. Very recently, the engine started to have a hesitation issue with accellerating from a stand still when I was running on CNG. Brought it to the dealership and they said I needed a tuneup.

Here is what the tech said at the dealership.

SCOPE EEC TEST ALT FUEL TEST MISSFIRES ON CYLINDERS 2,5,6,7.
3 NEEDS TUNE UP AND CLEAN AND RESEAL.

The cost for this tune up was estimated at $1,500. This includes 12 hours of labor at 97.50 an hour. To say the least I taken back by this cost.

What my question is will this fix my acceleration problem or are they trying to make a buck. Probably both on what I have read so far on the web.

The truck runs fine on regular fuel but since I primarly use CNG they said that what cause the plugs to go bad. I would run on CNG for 60 days then run one full tank of regular. This is what is recommended by ford. By the way this CNG vehicle was built by Ford in Canada.

One thought I had of course was doing the job myself. However, I'm not familar with the 3600psi CNG system which needs to be removed to get at the plus on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Any thoughts? idea, suggestions, all will be entertaining I'm sure

Mike in Phx Arizona

Old 05-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Ok, since no one has posted any replies yet let me narrow my question.

Does someone know how to change the COP and plugs on the passenger side without removing the CNG components that are located right above the manifold on the passenger side?

Thanks

FYI
I have found on the web a price for the Denso Platium plug $6.80ea. Make sure that this plug is suited for your application

http://www.sparkplugs.com/default.asp

Last edited by f150cng; 05-13-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Your best bet is to purchase a Ford Shop Manual directly from Ford. Yours is the first dual fuel F150 I've heard of. Very interesting!

Old 05-13-2004, 05:16 PM
take it to a mechanic who is familiar with cng. Your mixture may simply need to be adjusted.
My truck is dual fuel propane/gas and when it was running crappy on propane I took it to a shop that specialized in propane conversions. They tuned it up and it runs fine now. It cost me about 150 cdn.
As far as I know, cng is much like propane in that it is a much cleaner burning fuel than gas and won't foul your plugs as much as gas will.
good luck

Quick Reply: Tune up on a F150 running CNG help