Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Engine missing bad under acceleration, need help.

I have 1997 f150 with the 4.6 v8 it has 110,000 miles on it. I was on my way to work today and after driving about 5 miles my truck starts to shake and miss real bad. I was running about 55 mph. As a backed off the throttle the problem would start to be less noticable, but if I start to accelerate it would come back. It did this the rest of the way to work (about another 5 miles). It didn't seem to matter what speed I was going, it would happen pretty much at any speed as long as I was accelerating. The check engine light came on and would blink whenever the engine would miss and then stay solid when ever I calmed things down by backing off of the throttle. I replaced the plugs about a year ago but it has the original plug wires in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sbailey12; 03-19-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Well, there could be a coupla things wrong but I hope nothing serious..... The wires themselves are certainly suspect.... Your occurance is exactly how a friend of mine found out about his bad wires.... it was kinda sudden.......
Bad fuel or a fuel filter is a second thing to look at also........

I've got 2 '97 F150s with 4.6 engines and both are still strong running although they have 170k and 183k respectively..... the 4.6 is a great engine and low maintenance but some things are a MUST.... like wires....

Good luck......
Old 03-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to hcmq Send a message via Yahoo to hcmq
You DO have a couple of things going because of the CEL behavior.

Blinking CEL means you have miss. The steady CEL means something else. Get the codes read at autozone and post them here.

If I were to guess with your year and engine I would say something wrong with the EGR/DPFE and as mentioned before bad wires.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:04 AM
Garage is empty, add now

DonnyD,

Push each plug wire on. Most likely one has backed off a little and only missfires to the block when under load. This has happened a couple of times to me. It is common on the early engines with duel coils and plug wires. The flashing check engine light is one of the give aways.

After you push all plug wire back on if it stops then disconnect the battery to clear the check engine light.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
Thats exactly how mine is running!

I limped it to Autozone last night and had my codes read. P303 Cylinder #3 misfire. Under load the truck would stumble and miss, when idling or revving in neutral, it was smooth. Tonight I will be pulling it apart to see whats the matter. My check engine light came on and stayed on though.

Modified intake and throttle body, 265/75R16 Toyo All Terrains, Spicer greasable U joints & Moog ball joints, Delta toolbox, trans cooler and guage, Magnaflow muffler, Reese Class III hitch.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Well, I went to Autozone and it came back with a 308 error code. Which I was told is a misfire error code. There was a number of possiblities as far as what could be wrong (vacuum leak, bad spark plug, bad injector, bad plug wires etc..) I picked up some plug wires, I will install those and see how it goes and post back here with the results. Thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I installed the plug wires and that seems to have fixed the problem. Took it for a 5 mile test spin and it didn't miss once.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
Good to hear sbailey,

I just spent 2 hrs trying to get mine running right. I changed the plugs, but my wires weren't in yet.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally posted by sbailey12
I installed the plug wires and that seems to have fixed the problem. Took it for a 5 mile test spin and it didn't miss once.
GREAT!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:48 AM