98 f150 spark plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 f150 spark plugs and wires

whats the best spark plugs and wires to use? should i go to stock set or go after market? i really want is more performance.
stock wires are sealed in the block do i need to get the same kind and do they make after market wires that seal also?
how do you unplug all the spark plug wires and even all the way
under the fire wall, looks impossible to remove.

i have a 98 f150 with a 4.6 v8 90k miles. also installed the hypertech programmer. do i need to reprogram the truck back to stock before i install the plugs and wires?

i want to go synthetic oil and oil filter whats the best oil and filter to use. is mobile 1 full synthetic good stuff?

Old 02-22-2004, 05:55 AM
I used motorcraft plugs and wires.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 PM
since u mention u have wires i am gonna take the liberty to say u have the 4.6L. the wires are not that difficult to remove u just need a nice set of spark plug wire boot grabbers. i have a set of SK grabbers, and i have never slipped off of a boot when attemping to remove one in 3 years with them. kinda costly but well worth the investment. As far as a recomendation on wires, i will only recomend MSD Super Conductors. some ppl have reported them being short and having to reroute them, i have had no such difficulties. yes they are short but they seemed to fit just fine for me maybe others have gotten the wrong part number for them, my part number was 32229.

Your friendly, digitally local, ASE cerified mechanic,
Josh

Old 03-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Josh,
Where does one get the nice set of SK wire pullers(I'm not a mechanic)? And can you use them to re-install the wires too???
Sean

Old 03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I use all Motorcraft in my truck too. I tried to go with Bosch for the wires but was killing a set every 20,000 miles (they have a lifetime warranty but I got tired of changing them!)

Rick

Old 03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Changing wires ain't no thing, if you're putting new ones in anyway, then take the Vise-Grips to them s.o.b.s and yank them out! Just kidding, yeah, a plug boot removes is handy, the back one on the passenger side is fun to get to (be sure to open all the factory looms before you go pulling wires), and the second one from the fron ton the driver's side is a PITA, too, but with an assortment of extensions and a little patience, you can get them changed out.

Quick Reply: 98 f150 spark plugs and wires