Rubbing Noise from Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clock spring is a round, black item that is behind the steering wheel. It is the router for your electrical functions on the steering wheel(horn,cruise,radio,airbag), it replaces the old brush/contact style. It coils/uncoils when you turn the wheel, they will get dry and make noise. I replaced the one I was working on, but I guess you could lube it (LIGHTLY). I do know this , DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU MESS WITH IT!!! If you unplug the wire going to the airbag without disconnecting the battery, it will go off in your face! =

Hope this helps! Be careful!

Old 02-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STX found the big squeak in my truck, lower ball joint on the right side was bad! Also it sounds to me like the pitman arm is dry, rubbing sound not to bad but it's there, I'm gonna inject grease through the rubber seal.
This really pizzes me off, 01 with 57,000 miles never driven in water or mud always babied and kept clean!
So I replace both lowers and my Uncle tells me maybe I wash it too much. (kidding though) and I think he's right he said if it wears out babying it I should just pound on it.

Well that got me thinking! (And a few beers) I just got a brochure in the mail from Ford showing how tough there trucks are, so I ripped down my road about 40 which is REALLY REALLY rough this time of year and huge holes about 8 inches deep everywhere. I tell ya i haven't had that much fun driving since i was 16. Ya might want to try it.

Well after rambling I am gonna try driving this way for awhile and see how it works. Apparently you have to pound on them you know keep the joints movinnnn.....

Oh yeah theres still the steering wheel squeak on the inside, still gonna spray silicone in there, kind of busy putting new joints elsewhere in this truck.

Beardoge

Quick Reply: Rubbing Noise from Steering Wheel