Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-15-2004, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
2000 F-150 Fuel Filter Replacement

Hello All,

I was hoping that someone could outline the exact procedure for replacing my fuel filter(and also any special tools needed) on my 2000 F-150 4x4 5.4L.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
I'm not sure if this will be an help but on my '97 the fuel line has internal clips that hold the line to the nipples. Go to AutoZone or TrackAuto and buy their special tool for this purpose - $6. It looks like an X with a pair of on each end. Be sure to let your fuel system depressurize before popping the end loose or you'll get a spray of fuel instead of a dribble. Have a can and a rag handy. Should take you about 10 minutes.
Lagter,
Chiz
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 ford F-150
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/fuelfilter.php
3:73
Tow Pkg by owner
Flipchip
Helwig rear sway bar
2" drop rear shackles
Bedrug
Dual gauge pillar pod
Tinted Windows
Clear Corners
Old 02-16-2004, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to hcmq Send a message via Yahoo to hcmq
if you havent already, don't buy the fuel line tool from autzone/advance auto. it is cheap and a very poor fit and will cause you major knuckle damage.

go to NAPA and get the two little plastic discs made for Ford fuel and air cond quick release hoses. They fit perfect and work effortlessly.

just take your time and make sure the you put the new filter on facing the correct way. the whole job should take less than 10 minutes.

you do not need to release the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. just remove the neg batt cable then open the fuel cap on the gas tank. thats it and you will get very little gas comming out. the old filter however is very full of fuel and will spill out even after its off!!

Last edited by hcmq; 02-16-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to TN_Triton
I agree with hcmq, the one I bought from Advance Auto was poorly made and I ended up having to take my Dremel tool and alter it to fit my fuel lines.... Stick with a better made tool from somewhere else.

Other than that, the job is very easy. Just release the fuel pressure like hcmq and others have stated and you will not have any problems.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 1999 F150
How To's on changing fuel filter?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM

Location: Currently Oregon, Could be anywhere. Chasing the dream
Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Randall Hogue Randall Hogue
Thanks for the thread everyone. I read online how to do it, got the cheap plastic tool, put it on ramps and it wouldn't come off. I read all the 7 pages hoping some additional tip would show and it did and I went back under the car and got it off. I guess I just had to make sure I had the right tool because when I tried to use it I never heard or felt any sounds. I just pushed it on and then tried to pull the inlet hose off. It came off okay then then I went to the front and after some work and stuggling I got it off there too. Some things about working on cars just has to be learned. Thanks for the forum and thanks for the thread. And all those that think 7 pages and three years is excessive for this topic I just have to say it was about right. Maybe reading the whole thing cooled my jets enough to allow me to get it done. Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM