Getting more horsepower out of the 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting more horsepower out of the 4.6

Anyone know of any upgrades I can do to get some more horsepower out of my 4.6?

Last edited by dewalt17; 01-25-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are you looking to spend on upgrades? I'm going to do a head swap this summer after I finish work on these heads.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:26 AM
Re: Getting more horsepower out of the 4.6

Originally posted by dewalt17
Anyone know of any upgrades I can do to get some more horsepower out of my 4.6?

Trade it in for a Mustang GT 4.6L. I did and I'm lovin it!

Old 01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
4.6 power

I have seen posts that cover changing heads, cat-back exhausts, K&N filter or similar set up, and/or a performance chip. A search might be a good way to go. Someday I plan to add a cat-back exhaust system when funds allow. Not quite sure about any style of oil-treated air filter or computer chip. Definitely don't want to go done the road of of having to change heads.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
The search function might come in handy for times like these.

But just out of the kindness of my heart, here's a quick list. You'll find that most of this stuff is standard performance upgrades no matter what vehicle or engine you have.

- Air Filter/Air intake.
- Exhaust
- Performance Chip
- Head swap
- Supercharger
- Ignition (plugs, coils, plug wires, etc)

Depends on how much $ you're willing to fork out in order to get where you want to be. Personally if I wanted a fast truck I wouldn't have bought an F150 with a 4.6 to begin with. If you're just looking to get a little more pep out of it do a cold air intake, a catback, and maybe a chip. Any more than that and I personally think you're wasting your time. Just go buy a Lightning.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:27 PM
i just want a little more power for pulling my camper. It is a small camper and doesn't weigh much. Just want a little better acceleration more than anything.

Last edited by dewalt17; 01-29-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Performance = Money. The more you want, the more you're gonna pay. The first step is to figure out a budget that you find acceptable in order to reach your intended goal. Once you're done that you work backwards and figure out what you can get for the money.

Otherwise you're going to end up like countless other people who say "I'm just gonna put such and such part on it and leave it be" and end up dumping more and more and more money into it over time. All too often those people end up selling off parts they originally bought and put on because they want bigger and better.

If you're just looking for a little more pulling power I would suggest the usual stuff - exhaust, cold air intake, and maybe a chip. That should be more than adequate.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by dewalt17
i just want a little more power for pulling my camper. It is a small camper and doesn't weigh much. Just want a little better acceleration more than anything.
Electric fans is good place to start. At first I didn't think it would make very much of a difference. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance and I am getting 2 mpg better mileage overall driving.

Quick Reply: Getting more horsepower out of the 4.6