Strange noise in Subzero temperatures??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise in Subzero temperatures??

I'm way up here in ND. When its below zero in the mornings, my truck makes this really strange loud noise for a few seconds after the first start of the day. At 0, it lasts maybe 1-2 seconds. At -20, it lasts up to a good 15 seconds. My truck is a 2001 with the 5.4L. BUT.... A friend of mine with a '97 4.6L has the same problem, as does another guy with a '99 4.6L. One guy says he's had his truck up here for over 2 years, and it hasn't done any damage yet. I'm up here with the Air Force, and this noise is new to me. It's pretty darn loud also. The only thing I could think of is maybe the starter is too cold and sluggish to dissengage from the flywheel. But if that's the case, I don't think his starter would have lasted that long.
Does anybody else have this problem? I can't even think of how to describe this sound. Its not a sqeal or screech, not a clicking noise, not a grinding noise..... It sounds like someone in a honda shifting into reverse at 60 mph. a sort of high pitch buzz. OH! it sounds like the transmission whine when someone is driving really fast in reverse! thats EXACTLY what it sounds like. Any ideas?

Old 01-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

One of the most common noises I know of are power steering pumps and yes, it does sound like a car going fast in reverse. It just seems to be in their nature to whine until they get turning for a bit when its really cold outside and other engine parts make noise for a little bit until the oil starts flowing.

Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I know my 03 5.4 sounds like the starter is sticking since we got down to zero. But it sounds like it is coming from under the driverside firewall. I always thought that the starter was on the right side. I dont know what it is but I do know that if mine keeps it up much longer its to the dealer to get it check out.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:34 PM
this is one of the oldest cold weather issues on this board.

some one posts about this sound about once a week during the winter months. (do a search)

there seems to be two theories: #1) the starter solenoid hangs up for a few seconds when it is cold. #2) its the power steering pump. However, everyone is in agreement that the sound causes no harm to anything.

i believe that it is the starter. even my wife's 2002 grand caravan does it every now and then.

i wouldn't worry to much about it.

Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... It most likely is your P/S pump. The last week oe so, it has been extremly cold here and when I go to start my truck you get a weird sound just at start-up. It only last for about 2 seconds or so. I found out it is the P/S pump making the noise. It nothing to worry about. It makes the noise because the fluid is thicker than usual because of the cold. It takes a few seconds for the pump to get the fluid pumping.

Old 01-10-2004, 12:04 PM

You could suck the fluid out of your powersteering reservoir and see if it makes the sound that you are describing on a constant basis. I would not run it this way very long though to prevent damage to the pump.

Some one slap me if this is not a good suggestion!

Old 01-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey Temp 1,
No slap intended-----but why not just remove the surpentine belt the night before you put it to bed, then in the morning on the start-up there would be no noise from all the Aux equipment driven by the engine. If the noise is still there then you know it is coming from the starter or internal to the engine. Then in that cold weather at seven in the morning you can replace the belt and restart the motor and the noise will be there as before for that few minutes and then you know it's the pump, altenator, ac compressor, or whatever.

But like you I'm betting on the Power Steering pump, they sure whine for few minutes here in Iowa on sub-zero mornings. By the way the pitch of the whine should change with with engine rpm.

Good Luck

T-man

Old 01-10-2004, 03:52 PM

Triumphman,

Should'nt that read "Take the serpentine belt to bed with you" so it will be nice and warm when you try to put it on in the cold, cold morning. I guess I could get it back on before it freezes stiff again. LOL

Otherwise, I think thats a "Blue ribbon" idea.
I use the "process of elimination" to solve flat tire problems. I just rotate my tires and see if the problem moves...

Hell, we don't need no stinking power steering pumps anyway. Just a compass and some Manly men. Since we know the shortest distance between two points is as as a crow flies, we just get the Manly Men to lift up the back end and point the truck as needed by the compass heading. The 4WD will do the rest. Might even save some gasoline. Be sure to bring a chainsaw along in case trees or houses get in the way and a big sledge hammer for those brick walls.

Last edited by temp1; 01-10-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:32 AM
When it gets that cold I'm staying inside.

In the past I've had Fords that the power steering pump would groan something terrible till it warmed up.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:38 AM
My truck does the same thing (2000 4.6) in cold weather.
It's the power steering pump in my case.I even turned the wheel in the morning to make sure and it got louder.It only does it for a few secs though.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Darn it! I forgot about turning the steering to see if the whine gets louder. "I'm glad someone is keeping it simple." My hands were getting cold just thinking about that suggestion I made about putting that belt back on in morning.

T-man

Old 01-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ChiDiver
When it gets that cold I'm staying inside.

In the past I've had Fords that the power steering pump would groan something terrible till it warmed up.

I have the same noise on my 2003 5.4 and its definity the power steering. It only lasts about 30 sec then comes right out of it. It sounds the same as the old ranger did when the wife ran it dry.

DAve

Last edited by gumbyone; 01-21-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by triumphman
Darn it! I forgot about turning the steering to see if the whine gets louder. "I'm glad someone is keeping it simple." My hands were getting cold just thinking about that suggestion I made about putting that belt back on in morning.

T-man
Yeah, but I need practice. I think it takes me about 5 minutes to replace the serpentine belt right now. Im trying for 1 minute even in cold weather.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Unless the noise drives you absolutely nuts, I don't think you need to lose too much sleep over it. I live in AK. This is the 3rd winter my 2001 F150 has been making the noise. I pay attention to the service schedule and inspect everything under the hood pretty thoroughly every autumn. Nothing has broken yet (I keep a spare serpentine belt in the toolbox, just in case). At minus 30 it can last 30 seconds or more. Needless to say, I don't put it in gear and drive away until the noise quits.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
1/10/04 -23, 01/11/04 -22, 1/12/04 -15 did not start truck until 1/12/04 started with a flick of the key. When its this cold don't you think something's going to make some noise, I even heard my wife make noise after only being out in the cold for seconds.....

Quick Reply: Strange noise in Subzero temperatures??