5.4L question Is it PS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L question Is it PS?

I bought a used 99 F150 Supercab in May this year (2003). When i test drove the truck I took it home and checked it out. I noticed a smell and some antifreeze in the engine bay. The Oil was also real low.

The dealership checked out the truck and decided they didn't want to sell it (wanted to auction it, they took it in on trade) because it needed some $$ in work.

They changed their minds and replaced the torque converter as well as both head gaskets (what they told me) one leaked oil and one antifreeze.

The truck (F150 supercab 5.4L 2wd) was real rare for the area and was the price I wanted to pay so when they offered a free extended warranty I decided to take my chances as the motor is covered in the plan.

So now that winter has come I hear a knock after the truck has cooled down. 66K on the motor. It goes away when the truck warms up.

My question is which of the 3 senarios is it most likely:

1. It needs a valve tune up because the dealership didn't do a great job when they put the heads back on the motor

2. antifreeze got in the oil from the current state it was in before I bought it and I am now hearing the damage that was done to the bearings

or

3. It is Piston Slap (PS) that I am now hearing because of the cold weather?

What is the best plan of action either way. I want to have a game plan before I call/take it to the dealer. Are there more people that have gotten replacement motors because of PS?

Sorry for the novel. Oh ya truck was manufactured 2/99

Thanks

Last edited by liquidkool; 12-17-2003 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:47 AM
IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE PISTON SLAP. I HAVE A 99 F-150 WITH THE 5.4L AND HAD THE HEAD GASKETS REPLACED BY A DEALER ALSO. I DON'T HAVE PS AND HOPEFULLY IT DOESN'T REAR IT'S UGLY HEAD. I HAVE 99,000 KMS (62,000 MILES). FROM WHAT I PICKED UP FOR OTHER FORUMS IS THAT PISTON SLAP CAN START FROM 15,000 TO 60,000 MILES.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:25 PM
probably PS

It is probably PS, I know that Ford said that they fixed it in newer trucks, but my 2002 5.4 does it until it warms up too. I really don't think it is something to worry about, but it does sound really weird in the mornings! I have 45000 miles on it now and the PS started around 30,000. It only really makes the noise for 3-4 minutes first thing in the morning.

Old 12-20-2003, 09:43 AM
btt

Old 12-20-2003, 02:12 PM
How long does it last when you start the truck.

I have the PS on mine, but it only lasts a few seconds then it dies down (while in idle).

Once you put it in drive it comes back for a little bit again (but once again it does not last that long).

Old 01-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Same thing here... 99 F150 5.4 4X4, noise started around 70K. The colder it is the worse it sounds.... especially when idleing. Some noise can be heard when I drive the first couple miles in really cold weather.... after that, no sign of it - no performance problems when cold or warm. I thought I was heading for a new motor.... it makes me feel better to know I am not alone

Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Ya same here. It goes away after a few miles. Do you have an extended warranty? Is the engine burning any oil?

Old 01-07-2004, 02:56 PM
no oil burning here.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:09 PM
My 97 5.4 has the piston slap problem. when very cold it almost sounds like a rod knock. goes away after 3 or 4 mins of driving. No oil consumption or pressure problems (aftermarket gauge) Always runs great. Just a nuisance I suppose. Mine started at 85,000 miles.....

Old 01-08-2004, 03:12 AM
I don't think I'm burning any oil... I go to the 'quickie lube' places and if I go between 3-4 K it's still at the full mark.... when I get closer to 5K they tell me I am a quart down. I just figured that was about the norm for a truck with 80K....

I had an extended warr that expired at 79K... I should have gone to the dealer but I was in the middle of moving and would have to leave my truck overnight, on a cold night, for the dealer to maybe hear the noise.... I suppose I should have dealt with it but I was just too busy. Not that it matters but will extended warr companies do anything about this prob? I can't imagine them giving me a new engine just because of a little knocking sound... I am still just grateful to know I am not alone...

This is the first Ford I have owned after three different Toyotas spanning the last 12 years... I still have to say (sorry guys) the Toyotas are better built, but for what I paid and the value I feel I got with the Ford I will likely buy another. It's just that this truck squeaks, rattles, and vibrates more after 80K than any toyota at 150K... Funny thing I have found though is that the things that make noise on my Ford are not really important wheras when my toyota made noise it was usually expensive. The main reason I love my Ford is the size... I am 6' 4" and crammed myself into smaller, slower trucks for years. My Ford is soooo comfortable in comparison and the power, bigger bed and larger towing capacity make it a no-brainer. I never thought I would convert but I think I am here to stay..... thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: 5.4L question Is it PS?