Still got the SES light

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still got the SES light

Hey All,
I posted a couple weeks ago about a "EGR excessive vacuum flow" code I have on my 2001 150 4x4 (4.6L with 49000 miles). We pulled and cleaned the EGR valve, ran a fuel/air induction cleaning and yesterday I replaced what I think is called the EGR Control assembly. It sits forward of the EGR and has two vacuum lines attached to it. My mechanic isolated the problem to this assembly. I drove 300 miles with the power line on it totally disconnected with ZERO problems in engine performance.

Anyway, I replaced the control assembly myself, disconnected the battery to clear the code and damned if the truck didn't do the same thing it's been doing for the past two weeks. After a repair the light won't come back on. The day following a repair. after I've driven between 8 and 300 miles with no light, I cut the truck off for the day and it comes back on THE NEXT DAY. I don't get it.

Today I noticed an excessive amount of WATER dripping from the rear end of the actual MUFFLER (not the tailpipe) right on the lower weld of the muffler housing. I've noticed it before but I never paid much attention to it until I saw it today. I would expect condensation from the tailpipe. Now that I think about it, I started to see this puddle of water on the driveway, in that same area about the same time my SES light came on.

Any ideas on this??? Truck drives fine and haven't really noticed any drop in performance.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the code again and see what code it is giving you now. I hate it when you fix one thing and then something else goes wrong, but it does happen, and if you have the same the code, then the fix that you performed did not work. If it is a different code, then troubleshoot that issue. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If you look closely at any new muffler, you will see that it was made with small drain holes to do exactly what yours is doing. This is perfectly normal - don't worry about it.

As for the delayed SES/CEL, this is also normal. The computer controls and monitors the emissions control subsystems looking for deficiencies in performanace. For many faults that do not immediately affect engine performance, the computer stores a "pending code" for up to several drive cycles. If the detected problem continues after whatever the limit is, the computer changes the code from a pending status to a "stored" status and turns on the light to notify the operator to have it checked.

It would be helpful if you posted the actual code.

For the EGR system, connect a short length of vacuum hose to the EGR valve port, start the engine and let it idle. Suck on the hose and observe engine RPMs. If there is no change, either theEGR valve is bad or the EGR passages into the intake tract are clogged. If the engine stumbles or dies, those sections are okay and the problem is upstream or in the sensor sub-system. You have already replaced the EVR from the sound of it - this part rarely causes problems.

A disconnected EGR system will not affect engine operation as you discovered. It just means that the emissions control system is not operating as it was intended to.

Steve

Quick Reply: Still got the SES light