Gasoline prices going up AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline prices going up AGAIN!

What do you guys think about the prices going up again? Do you think that a 2 or 3 day national strike against buying gasoline would help? It seems like there has to be something the little guy can do if he sticks together. Heck, a Journeyman electrician named Lech Welenska helpd start the solidarity movement and it brought the Soviet Union to its knees.

Even if everyone didn't live by the strike, if everyone who drives Ford Trucks did that would be how many million vehicles?

I heard the talking heads on TV say it wouldn't make any difference but I find that hard to believe. If a target date was agreed on and everyone emailed everyone they know and had them keep off of the roadways and not buy gasoline during the time can you imagine how fast the word would spread?

When they called those fat cats from the oil companies to Capitol Hill after the Hurricanes the prices dropped like a rock almost over night. Now that Christmas is near they are going up 20 cents a gallon or more.

I bet the first thing the oil companies or their lackies would do would be to try to lie their way out of it saying it won't make any difference if we strike or not. They would get their buddies on the news media etc. to help. I would say the louder they yell the more scared they must be!

Just a thought guys, what do you think? I just hate the idea of having to lay here and take it in the you know what without lifting a finger to fight back. I know I can't do it by myself either. It would take a lot of people who are pissed about getting ripped off getting together and get organized to do it.

If people are interested how does January 25th,26th and 27th sound?

Nut Man Jack

Last edited by nut man jack; 12-20-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a strike wouldn't help-- if anything it would probably drive prices up--

if everyone stopped buying for 2 days then bought on the 3rd (because they were now on the big red E) then there's a RUN on gas. A run on gas does what? Raises prices.

a couple of days of strike COMBINED with carpooling/riding bus/walking/etc might do something-- but that's hard to convince people to do on any scale.

unless you reduce the amount of gas you're using, the gas is still sold (eventually) and oil companies either won't notice or will benefit from it.

Just my take on things.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:23 PM
The price we pay for living in a capitalist society. The law of supply and demand. Do you think demand will go up during the Christmas season? Sure it will, so will the cost.

Will demand go down in January? Sure it will, so will the cost.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
The price we pay for living in a capitalist society. The law of supply and demand. Do you think demand will go up during the Christmas season? Sure it will, so will the cost.

Will demand go down in January? Sure it will, so will the cost.

Bingo.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Its been like that for years. During thanksgiving, christmas, and summer gas prices rise due to increased travel. The other 9 months of the year they are moved only by the market.

As for an increase recently, try 41 cent a gallon. We were down to 1.80 a gallon, and this morning it was 2.11

Try 2.31 a gallon for premium in a 30 gallon tank with a blower on for size.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 PM
The funny thing is that I saw an article online yesterday where gas prices went up to about 37cents a gallon over in Iraq and they were protesting and almost hit rioting stage.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If we all started riding bicycles the price would go down initially, but then it would go higher than ever so they could still make their profit. Would just mean that the oil reserves would last longer and they would charge more per barrel.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
...As for an increase recently, try 41 cent a gallon. We were down to 1.80 a gallon, and this morning it was 2.11

Try 2.31 a gallon for premium in a 30 gallon tank with a blower on for size.
Up here in the Empire State, we were down to around @ $2.29 or so at a few stations a few weeks ago, today they are all around $2.39 for regular unleaded. We have not seen $2.11 gas in a few years!!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Location: Spokane WA (that's Spo-Can dumbass) and NO I'm not close to Seattle.
I agree that a strike would not work for the reasons cited above, I do think that the oil companies "awakend a sleeping giant" when prices hit $3 a gallon, suddenly people were dumping their 15 mpg suv's for fuel efficient 4wd cars/minivans getting 20-30 mpg, and the big auto manufacturers saw a real demand/profit opportunity in hybred vehicles. Just look at the current offerings from ford, honda, toyota etc. plus the government threatening to add higher taxes to the big oil companies record profits. Personaly I can't car pool nor not drive for any period of time, but I do what I can to maximize my milage, and fuel costs. I buy gas at costco (about .10 cents cheaper than other stations and whenever possible I go to Idaho for gas (about .20 cents cheaper) true the gas companies still sell gas but I save $$$ and feel like I'm "stickin' it to the man" or if your from WA "stickin' it to the woman" and her new gas tax increase.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by tiny1
Up here in the Empire State, we were down to around @ $2.29 or so at a few stations a few weeks ago, today they are all around $2.39 for regular unleaded. We have not seen $2.11 gas in a few years!!!!
I paid 2.08 for regular last night. Gas was down to about 1.89 a few weeks ago. I figured the 1.89 would only last until the holiday travelers started to hit the road.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:00 PM
i got an email about a month ago that had a pretty good idea, basically the idea was to almost boycott the larger gas companies, like mobil and amoco, and thus start a gas war for lower prices. now im not so sure the boycotting would work, but i have seen a gas war in person, a new station opened when gas was 2.55 here, and this new station had it at 2.20. within an hour the gas stations around the new one had to drop their prices to compete. just an idea

Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Prices will continue to go up slowly and slowly until we just get used to them and bi*ch about the NEW higher prices. Although a boycott would be nice Not everyone will follow and some may take advantage of the situation as they did with the tsunami relief,9-11, and Hurricane Katrina. We have been made addicts to fossil fuels. We have grown up with them and around them and have been made dependent on them for our daily sustenance. Like a drug. There are cars that run on compressed air, solar, water, gas, methane, electricity and have been around for a long time, but the vehicles keep getting bigger; waste more fuel and hybrids are expensive and not very practical for everyone in every application. Anyone remember back in 1991 gas was 89 cents for regular when I was stationed in Fort Leonardwood, Missouri. and now; you're lucky to find anything under 2.00 that is decent gas. They will continue to go up, just like taxes, until another civil war.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 AM
It's odd because the gas is going down in Oklahoma. A few weeks ago it was around $1.82 and then recently jumped to around $2.07. Today I saw it for $1.97. I don't know what caused the increase or decrease in price.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by b_j__h
It's odd because the gas is going down in Oklahoma. A few weeks ago it was around $1.82 and then recently jumped to around $2.07. Today I saw it for $1.97. I don't know what caused the increase or decrease in price.
Supply and demand. The more demand there is for gas the higher the gas will sell for. The less demand for gas...the lower the price will be.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Going up!

Here in Santo Domingo I am paying 129 pesos per galon (129/33 pesos per dollar= $3.90). So every week I spend 20 gallons x $3.90 = $78 dollars a week, that`s not fair. Then comes maintenace, insurance, etc...

Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
Supply and demand. The more demand there is for gas the higher the gas will sell for. The less demand for gas...the lower the price will be.

Quick Reply: Gasoline prices going up AGAIN!