Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
4.6L runs good but won't idle..

I have a 1999 F150 with a 4.6L and recently probably once a week it wouldn't idle when I first started in the morning. Now it won't idle at all. I cleaned all the linkages around the throttle body but no help. Otherwise the engine runs fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.: :cool:
Old 09-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Account Suspended For Inappropriate For Using Email System To Send Inappropriate Messages
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 ford f-150
IAC valve or TPS sensore
Old 09-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to GearHead_1
Ditto, especially on the IAC.

My Gallery
Old 09-17-2003, 01:35 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F-150
Send a message via ICQ to Pickup Man Send a message via Yahoo to Pickup Man
Could also be the EGR valve or the MAF, but I would definitely check the IAC first.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
check the IAC, it can surely cause the problem.. it that check oute then you need to remove and inspect the PCV hose... it will be insulated, but the hose is actually a hard plastic, where the hose meets the PCV valve there is a small rubber elbow. you have to pull back the insulation to see it... this elbow gets worn, and it will collapse when the engine is providing vacuum to it... usuall when the engine is cold, the rubber has expanded enough to allow some blow-by-gas to reenter the combustion cylcle. once the engine is somewhat warm, the rubber elbow becomes weaker and collapses... therefore causings the rough and unstable idle.... this happened to me, and i replaced a ton of stuff(IAC, EGR, DPFE, and TPS) before getting this info from this site... however, my truck never set a code... so if no code is set, its worth your while to look at this, new hose and PCV valve all come as one from ford, for around $25... hope this helps
Old 09-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
one more thing, you may want to invest in a Haynes manual, and and voltage meter, its money well spent... this way you will be able to test the TPS, EVR solenoid, MAF, etc.... before replacing them... most of these senors run $50 a piece, and that's autozone prices... so you'll come out ahead, but spending a few buck up front on the meter and the manual... not to mention, the manual is pretty descriptive....
Old 09-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
I have the same problem. I have a 1998 f150 with a 4.6. Occasionally my truck will not idle. It runs fine other than that. If I drive it down the road for 5 minutes... it idles fine. I believe the problem to be the Idle Throttler Valve. It sits on the top backside of the throttle body. I went to Ford and they want $125 for it. I decided to wait until it wouldn't idle anymore to replace it. Hope this helps.

Oh, my brother is a service manager for a Ford dealership, he also thought the ITV was more than likely the problem.

SOLD
1998 F150 S/C
4.6 V8
Flowmaster 40 muffler
Pioneer 8200R Cd Receiver
2 12" DEI Competition subs
DEI 1100D amp
DEI Studio 3065 Components
2 kicker Impulse 5x7
Legacy LA360 amp
Expy console
Old 09-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Thanks for all of the help guys! The problem was my idle air control valve like some of you suggested. For anyone who is curious, a new motorcraft part is ~$120.00. O'reilly auto parts has a Borg Warner brand for $45.00.

Thanks again for all of the good advice. This was my first problem with this truck since I bought it new. Time to buy a repair manual I guess.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 ford f150
Why spend the money? Just take it off and clean it with some parts cleaner and then re-install. I did this to mine about 20,000 miles ago and no problems since.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 PM