4.6 to 5.4 or New heads?

Old 10-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Superchip. I spoke to Mike Troyer yesterday about the solution to my programming needs for the 5.4. He has new software coming this week which will allow him to custom tune a chip for my situation. Since I will be using the existing PCM and my 4.6 wiring harness with coil packs and plug wires, he will be able to tune to the 5.4. He asked me to get the 4 digit PCM code and will begin looking at the custom tune this weekend. I should be able to have the chip by the end of next week.

I will be working Sat, Sun, and Mon. to complete the installation and get the exhaust work done. I will update this post this weekend. For more info. on the programming, see the thread under Computer Chips (Calling Dr Troyer).

Steve

Old 11-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Great photos ........we need more of them.

Did the engine slide down in the engine bay?
How did you have to modifiy your 4.6 exhaust to fit the 5.4 exhaust manifold connection?

.......I got a million questions, when you finish.

Thanks for providing this thread with detailed updates.

........any updates?

Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
In answer to Iron Horse, the engine mounts were slightly tight towards the rear. Had to remove the nuts from the right engine mount bracket and tap it back. Engine then slid in just fine. Transmission bolted up fine. I have not done the exhaust yet. Will be working with the local Exhaust Pros shop to fix that this coming weekend. Had to cut the exhaust just before the muffler to let the cats and Y pipe slide back and down to get the clearance. Will most likely remove the cats and Y pipe to facilitate the exhaust changes. Looks like the header pipes will have to be lengthend and the angle changed to get them to mate up and keep the cats installed.

I had to make a bracket for the coil pack on the right head as there are no mount holes to bolt to. All accessories bolted up correctly. I also retained my remote oil filter. The bolt pattern was the same so easy to do. The serpentine belt is identical so got a new one yesterday and installed just fine. The PCV tubing is different, so have not dealt with that yet. Also have to fabricate a bracket for the throttle and cruise control cable mount as there no bolt holes in the new intake manifold for that. The EGR valve assembly will also require a bracket to be made.

I am working on vacuume hoses and wiring now. Started routing plug wires yesterday and installed the fan clutch assembly. If all goes well, I should be ready to test fire by the weekend. I will take more pictures and post them this week.

Steve

Old 11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Great info!

........I wonder if a used exhaust system (headers to exhaust tips) from any 5.4 supercab or crewcab, would bolt up without modifications ?

I figured that I will be doing some hacksawing, but, I still need to be able to drive it to the muffler shop. I was hoping that we only needed to cut below the manifold connection area to make the 4.6 exhaust system fit the 5.4.

Last edited by iron horse; 11-04-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
You may be able to cut just above the cats, but it is tight in there and I was using a sawsall to make the cut. I had thought about getting the exhaust from a wrecked 2001, but have not had time to look into that. I'm guessing I will need to keep the 4 O2 sensors so would like to keep the factory cats and just modify the header pipe. I will try to get some pictures of the exhaust tonight.

Steve

New Pictures Added today.

http://sclime.mystarband.net/

Last edited by sclime; 11-04-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Great. Now after reading this I want to put a 5.4 in MY truck! Thanks alot guys!

Old 11-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great. Now after reading this I want to put a 5.4 in MY truck! Thanks alot guys!
Wyhy do you think everyone is following this thread so closely?

I could easily imagine a 5.4 under my hood with all the 4.6 stickers still present where they should be.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am running 5.4 headers on my 4.6. The angle of the collector flange ( where header bolts to exhaust system) is different from the 4.6. With the 5.4 deck hight being greater the collector flange sits higher in the engine compartment. You will need to extend the exhaust and bend the flange on the 4.6 exhaust to mate with the 5.4 flange. What I did to make it fit was have a muffler shop make a new exhaust flange from 2½ inch pipe that was about 6 inches long and weld an O2 bung on it. I (temporary) cut out the precats and used 2½ inch flexi-pipe to connect the parts up.

Regards

JMC

Old 11-08-2003, 07:16 AM
I towed my truck to the local Exhaust Pros shop yesterday afternoon to have the exhaust hooked up. Unfortunately, they won't be able to get to it until Monday. I should have an idea of what they did on Monday as well as what it costs. They are going to try to keep the pre-cat in place and just extend the header pipe and add a new flange.

I will post an update when I get the truck back from Exhaust Pros. I will then be able to finish up the wiring and vacuum lines. I was told I should get a code reader and dump the codes before I try to start it, so am checking into renting one from a local parts shop.

Steve

Old 11-11-2003, 08:58 AM
ironhorse...
I checked with a local salvage yard to see if I could pick up an exhaust system from the manifolds to the muffler including the cats and was told they cut them up and cannot re-sell them. I wonder if it is a state or federal law that they cannot re-use the cats from wrecked trucks/cars. I aksed if they could sell just the flange to the cat (minus the cats) and he again said no. They cut them up.

You might check your local salvage yards though. Maybe they operate differently.

I talked to Exhaust Pros yesterday late afternoon. He was just putting my truck on the rack. Will know later today if done.

Also talke to Mike Troyer yesterday about the chip. He is sending me worksheets to complete and will burn the chip later this week.

I do have a question for someone who has a 5.4 2001. On the front of the intake manifold where the crossover is for the return antifreeze is, my old 4.6 had to sensors. The new manifold only has one. I am wondering if I can get away with only the one sensor or am I going to have to wire the second connector into the first one.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 AM
You have to use both. Just go to Home Depot and get a brass T-fitting that is all females, and get an insert the same size. Screw the insert into the manifold, then put on the T, then install both sensors. I'm pretty sure the sensors either operate at diff. parameters, or one is open when hot and the other closed when hot. I'll check schematics later and let you know for sure, but you have to use them both I know that.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:46 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The two sensors are for the engine coolant temperature. One sends a signal to the PCM for engine control functions and the other sends a signal to the instrument cluster for the temperature reading on the guage. SVT is right you must use both or at least the one for the PCM. A T fitting is the easiest way.

JMC

EDIT: One should be gray and the other black. The gray sends to PCM and the black to Instrument cluster.

Last edited by JMC; 11-11-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks!
I will make sure they are both hooked up.

I talked to Exhaust Pros and he says he can't do the exhaust as he doesn't have a transmission jack and is not confident he can weld in that tight of space. He recommended I go to a performance shop to have it done. I think I will do what JMC advised and just get two flanges made, one with an O2 lug and then use flexi-pipe to connect up to the cat. I certainly don't have a problem in taking out the pre-cat.

Thanks,
Steve

Update!
I towed my truck to another local shop and they are going to weld up the new flange for me. Should have my truck back by the weekend. Am sending the Superchips worksheets to Mike today so hopefully will have the chip by then too. May actually get to start it this weekend. Will update when I get it back and will get some good pictures of the exhaust hookup.

Last edited by sclime; 11-12-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Go Man Go! .......this is better than any magazine article on the subject! .......trust me, I would know.

I will check on the used exhaust system. I can access a salvage yard that specializes in used Ford truck parts and my state no longer requires any vehicle inspections, therefore no emission testing (thats good and bad).

I have tried repeatedly to download your webpage pics. When you only had three pics. I could download them. Now with several more pics, I can only download one and that takes a while

....can't wait for your next update!

Old 11-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Angry come on lets go

Lets go already, This is like an automotive soap-opera. Did the 5.4 fire up? Did the exhaust situation get resolved? Did Maria have Carlitos illigitimate child? Oops, got carried away. Sorry.
Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 or New heads?