Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
Send a message via ICQ to Brons2 Send a message via AIM to Brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to Brons2
What's wrong with Dexcool for F150?

Specifically Havoline DexCool. It is phosphate, boron, sodium, etc free. It is the only coolant I could find at Autozone or WalMart that had the EXACT coolant spec that is under my hood printed on the label.

People seem to all say that the orange stuff is bad, but don't really have any reasoning or science to back it up. I don't have any intention to leave it in there 5/150 like the Chebbies, I'll use the regular drain intervals.

Does anyone have any CONCRETE recommendations about using Dexcool. I don't want any "I heard it's bad from X dealer tech" rather specific scientific/FORD recommendations.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to Brons2 Send a message via AIM to Brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to Brons2
Oh by the way, I have flushed the old stuff COMPLETELY AWAY so no gelling.

I have a 2000 S/C XL 4.2 5-Speed.
(don't move to V6 forum please, it's a general engines question)
Old 08-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
..."Case in point, Dexcool has been known to cause head gasket and water pump failure on some Ford OHC V-8's."

That quote is from the attached link. I know you have a V-6 (so do I), but the 4.2 is prone to gasket problems already.

If it didn't come with it, don't use it.

Dexcool
Old 08-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Dexcool is very corrosive and not worth the trouble. Most cooling systems(including water pump) have to be replaced after running dexcool. I would jsut use regular antifreeze and add water wetter if your concerned about temps. I used regular coolant in my truck for 4 years(it was totalled) and never had a problem. I used the normal stuff you find at autozone at the recomandation of my service supervisor.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I'd use the regular stuff, and if you are still uncomfortable, just add a bottle of Red Line's Water Wetter. This has has been proven to cause engines to run up to 15-30 *F cooler. Plus, it has some pretty nifty corrosion inhibitors.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to hcmq Send a message via Yahoo to hcmq
I am sorry I don't have a link for you. I think you can find it under a Dexcool search on the web.

Dexcool is a great product ONLY if it is put in a new engine at the factory because at that time it will seal the metals at that time. That is why you must keep using it. That is also why putting Dexcool in after the green stuff does nothing and will NOT last the 5 years.

good luck-
Old 08-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally posted by hcmq
I am sorry I don't have a link for you. I think you can find it under a Dexcool search on the web.

Dexcool is a great product ONLY if it is put in a new engine at the factory because at that time it will seal the metals at that time. That is why you must keep using it. That is also why putting Dexcool in after the green stuff does nothing and will NOT last the 5 years.

good luck-
Changing it at 30K is fine with me.

My goals were:

a) to use a silicate and phosphate free antifreeze

b) to use an antifreeze that meets the spec number under the hood.

The Havoline Dex-Cool met those specs.

It was also cheaper than regular Prestone.

But, I ended up taking back the DexCool and got the Prestone anyways. So, no orange stuff for me this time I guess.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Garage is empty, add now

links:

http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys...s_dexcool.html

http://www.getahelmet.com/maint/dexcool.htm read the 3rd paragraph in this one.

I have hundreds more links if you would like them. Or you could just type in "dexcool" in Dogpile.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150
Brons2 is correct, we can use Havoline Extended Life in our trucks.

Before anyone says Dexcool is not fine for our trucks, let me explain why Havoline Extended Life is fine...

Havoline Extended Life is not Dexcool-compatible only and it does meet the reuirements of late model Fords specifically mentioned in the owner's manual. It also meets the Dexcool requirements for late model GM cars and trucks that recommend Dexcool coolants. It says so on Texaco's web site and on the bottle's label.

I have been running Havoline Extended Life in my '99 150 with a 5.4 since the fall of 2000 and I do not have leaks of any kind nor have I had any kind of overheating or water pump problems. I have over 105k miles on my truck currently. I put Havoline in it when it had about 20k miles.

If you compare the labels on Havoline Extended Life against Prestone Dexcool, for example, the Prestone does NOT meet Ford's spec for coolant in my truck. The Havoline does explicitly list the spec for my truck. Not only that but Havoline Extended Life is also compatible with conventional green coolants. Would be some weird color if you mixed it together though, huh ?

Havoline Extended Life seems to be the only orange coolant that is compatible with both Dexcool and conventional coolants. I have not seen any other orange coolant that this statement is true for.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Garage is empty, add now

You are correct your Havoline extended life will work in your ford. However you cannont use it as extended life because it was not the first coolant used from the factory. It is all marketing inorder to get you to pay more.

It will work fine in your truck and you will have no problems as you already stated. You still need to change it according the the owners manuals schedule.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:10 PM