Question synthectic oil and oil additive question

What's the different, Pros and Cons ?

Using Full Synthectic oil like Mobile 1 Syntec
-vs-
Conventional Oil + Oil additive like Slick 50, DuraLube, XR1, and Prolong

thanks

Old 08-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Concerning the additives, Duralube and Prolong are chlorine based and you might as well pour a cup of clorox in the with the oil as to use these. They will also cause corrosion in the engine. Slick 50 uses teflon in its formulation and is known to stack up at the corners of the oil passages and eventually will plug it. XR-1 I have no info on but nothing you put in as an additive will ever compare to using a quality oil. I would suggest that if you want the best for your rig, learn about oil basics and what the additive packages actually do for your engine. Info can be had at the API website and the Chevron website has a great library.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what ive learned, full synthetic doesnt break down as quickly as conventional oil so thats why you see those advertisements on how you can go longer between oil changes. And since it doesnt break down as quickly thats why alot of companies with performance vehicles use Mobil 1 in them from the factory. I never did like to let it go past 3000 miles anyway. I guess its force of habit.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:51 PM
The reason you change oil is because of contamination, not from "breaking" down.

There are millions of cars on the road with over 200K miles on them. How many do you think used synthetic?

Old 08-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Home skillet,

I disagree. all oil has some kind of add package that breaks down over time and milage. Dirt plays a factor but oil does change viscosity as time goes on.
If your theory was true we would just change filters over and over again without draining oil. IMHO......

Frank

Old 08-11-2003, 09:09 AM
The contaminants I mentioned are not filtered by the oil filter.
"Contaminants" could be-raw fuel, moisture, and blow-by gasses.
I have yet to see an engine that failed because a person did not use synthetic oil.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:40 PM
I agree Home, all oil that is api certified is fine if changed frequently, however some synthetic oils hold there viscosity longer than dino oils and with a quality filter can go longer between changes. I would agree there is nothing inadequate with dino oil. Synthetics pouring point is a little better for extreme climates and longer time between changes.

later

frank

Old 08-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, you’re both right. First Home Skillet is right that you do not have to run synthetic oil to insure your motor will last a very long time. Second, poolvibe is right that conventional oil (dino) does indeed break down much faster then does a good quality synthetic and thus synthetic can go further between oil changes.

Eventually any oil has to be changed due to dirt. Even synthetic can not go forever with just filter changes. However you have to change conventional oil sooner due to break down and less protection then because of the dirt it has in it.

I change mine every 3,000 miles and that is not enough time for my oil to be dirty enough for a change, most likely to early to be broke down much, but it does insure I have clean oil and that it is performing the best it can in protecting without being broke down.

I have always said, that if one runs conventional oil in their vehicle and changes every 3,000 miles it will last as long as any motor that runs synthetic oil…

Old 08-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Well, Ive got about 140k on my 98, and change the oil every 3-4500 miles, Ive been a QS 4x4 user since day 1 and have used it in all of my pickups, 2 rangers and 2 F150s, and this is the first time, ever that Ive used any kind of additive, I used Marvel Mystery oil, Ive know many mechanics that use it, and used on many farm implements, and other engies, Im very impressed, and have been very impressed with it. Made everything a little quieter, and improved the mileage slightly!! I know there are lots of opinions out there about additives, but its just one guys 2 pennies!!! Keep on keepin on fellas!!!

Old 08-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Another thing that has been overlooked is that some synthetics (Amsoil XL7500, Castrol, etc.) that are labeled and marketed as "Synthetics," are actually are not. The above mentioned contain higly refined dino basestocks. This process is called "Hydrocracking" (Penzzoil, Chevron etc.). True synthetics, may contain some organic material, but the "True synthetics like Mobil 1,

Old 08-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sythetic oil will require less VII additives, keep the engine internals cleaner, have less oxidation, more thermal stability, longer life, and will protect better at extreme cold and hot temperatures than dino oil.

Home skillet, poolvibe,

Both are true. Oil does break down, it does get dirty, and the additive wear out. Since an oil analysis cost as much as an oil change we change it at 3,000 miles before any of the three happen.

One of the jobs of the additives is to keep the dirt and soot small in size and suspended in the oil. When the additives are used up the oil with get dirty faster and needs to be changed out.

Because synthetic oil requires little to none VII improvers it will hold it's viscosity and not shear down to a thiner oil as easily. It won't wear out as fast.

Because synthetic oil flows and protects better during a cold start and at high tempatures there will be less wear metals per 1000 miles and won't get dirty as fast.

Because synthetic oil runs cleaner and comes from a better base stock the additives will not be used up as quickly.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:42 PM
well said green.

Frank

Old 08-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks Frank!

Old 08-14-2003, 12:53 AM
OIL OIL OIL, huff, sign, vomit

I have been reading these message boards (ford and toyota, cannot find a silverado board) for quite some time. The topic of oil is the common thread, people are looking for the Magical Fountain of Engine Youth This is what my vast life experience in life has taught me.Magical Fountain of Engine Youth Magical Fountain of Engine Youth.

People choose an oil more out of superstition than anything else, "my father used Valvoline, so did his father, they only drove Fords, and they got over 2.5 bazillion miles out of em', they bought a Chevy one year, it only lasted 300 miles and it was sitting next to the barn for 20 years, with only 300 hundred miles"

Of course that sounds familiar, we all either know this person, or we are this person.....myself included.

I use only valvoline, 10-30, change the oil every 3000 miles, I have never ever had an engine failure....EVER!!! Why do I use valvoline?????? As a kid, I used to poke the holes in the metal oil cans and be in charge of switching the pour spout from can to can, I only saw Valvoline, did not know another oil existed till I started driving cars myself, I dare not try another brand though, the OIL GODS would strike my engine DEAD.

Oil technology as well as engine technology has progressed over the years, engines are more efficient and oils are more slippery. the only wrench that can be thrown in rock solid Valvoline 10-30/changed every 3000 theory is the synthetic engine oil.

I have yet to assess how the engine oil gods feel about synthetic oil, they may be very displeased with me for using it, and strike my motor down, I have yet to try it. Depending on which full size truck I buy, I will use synthetic. THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE WITH SYNTHETIC OIL AND WHY I AM SOLD ON IT>>>

I used to be an H-60 Seahawk rescue crewmember (same thing as the Army Blackhawk), The turbine engines use Synthetic fluids only, and here is the kicker, You never change the oil in a turbine engine. That engine (two actually) runs 20,600 rpm constant, the only thing that changes is the amount of fuel delivered to maintain those RPM's. 20600 in the blistering heat of the sandy Persain Gulf, to the blistering heat and humidity of South America, to the Blistering cold of Alaska. The only oil maintenance that is performed is adding oil, so it is in the proper range, and sending the oil out for analysis every xxxx hours of flight time. These engines turn for THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of hours at 20,600 RPM and the oil is never changed...

So what does all this mean??? Turbine engines are amazing pieces of efficiency, they do not suffer the blow-by problem of our less efficient internal combustion piston pushers. Turbines (at least mine) operate at one RPM range and do it well. (just like your dad said, do one thing, do it well) and above all, synthetics stand up to their extreme heat and climate conditions, never needing to be changed.

Use synthetic, use dino oil, just change it regularly! sorry you had to read through all that to get to the final statement.

JC

Old 08-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Um, yup. Use oil, it's good.

(look, only 25 more posts to the big 2000 )

Quick Reply: synthectic oil and oil additive question