Finally, got 300 miles on a tank of gas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally, got 300 miles on a tank of gas!

My truck would never go over 300 miles on a tank of gas as measured to the low fuel light on. I could get 280 on a good day with traveling on the freeway.

I suspected the problem to be from 29k miles on regular gas, and now it is running reformulated gas, since I have had this problem before. Regual gas leaves behind a varnish, and the reformulated gas makes a sludgie mess out of it.

I got some Schaeffer's Neutra 131 which slowly disolves varnish in the fuel system. I put in 1 oz per gallon twice.

On the fist tank I filled up at 290 with no light I had a passenger so I had to fill up and not waste his time, but I know I could have made it, and that was city driving.

I put in another 21 oz for the new gas, then I drove about 400 miles on the weekend. My wife filled it up at 1/4 tank, and later I had a truck full of people and also filled up at 1/4 tank. The miles were 521 for both tanks, so I know I could have gotten 79 miles out of those two 1/4 tanks.

Yesterday I hit the 303 on normal city driving, and even turned 4H on twice when it was raining to oil up the gears.

Quick Reply: Finally, got 300 miles on a tank of gas!