1987 302 EFI can't determine fuel filter

Old 01-14-2003, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1987 302 EFI can't determine fuel filter

I just picked up a Fram fuel filter to replace my current aging filter. When I went underneath the truck I didn't see anything that resembled the one I received at the auto parts store. I got the gold colored inline filter "one in one out" and the only thing that resembles a filter on the truck is a round black thing that looks a bit like an oil filter just under the driver's seat on the frame rail. It has 4 inputs and I think one output. (I do have 2 tanks on this truck) Is this the filter? If so how is it replaced. Secondly I found the valve to relieve the fuel pressure before I change the filter but it is just south of the distributer cap on top of the engine. If I push the needle down gas will go all over my engine. Is there a trick to getting this de-pressurized?

Thanks very much for any input,
owajee

Old 01-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Try looking forward of what you are looking at now. It sounds like you are seeing the selector valve. I have never heard of a filter with multiple inputs, but they may exist?? The frame rail is usually the correct place to look, just follow the line farther forward.

As for the fuel pressure I don't worry about it. I just make sure I wear eye protection when I pop the filter off. Even with the pressure released you still end up getting some gas dribbling, so why bother....

Old 01-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Well the only thing forward of this is the fuel pump. I know this because it has the fuel line going into it as well as some wires. I followed the line all of the way to the intake on the engine and no filter. I wonder if the selector valve has a filter built into it on the bottom. The bottom does resemble an oil filter in shape (maybe half the height) black plastic with flat spots at the top (sort of like a large nut).

Old 01-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Just to finalize this thread, I was able to determine the filter was located inside the fuel tank switching valve (just underneath). I used a standard oil filter wrench to remove it and replaced the cartridge filter successfully. I did have some trouble getting it to not leak after screwing back on the filter housing because there is an o-ring that is very difficult to seat inside. A bit of vaseline did the trick and she is replaced without a leak and I saved $130 trip to the dealer.

Thanks for the help,
-owajee

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1987 302 EFI can't determine fuel filter