Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Do you need to fix a spark plug blow out? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
        Print Wikipost

living with ford spark plug blow out problem

Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 PM
        Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
        That's great! Yep, the f150online forum and the rest of the web are wonderful things. How did we live without the internet? We lived in a lot more ignorance for sure!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 AM
        Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
        I have a n '08 F 150 with a 4.6. It has blown a plug. Just the end couple of threads are messed up on it so I was hoping the same for the head. I thought I would just run a tap through it to clean out the threads. I'm doing it all by feel since you can see in there (it takes the normal plug, not the 2-piece). Maybe a stupid question, but, if I can run the tap all the way through just using my fingers, which I have done a dozen times, why can't I get the new plug to go in past 1 1/2 turns?

Last edited by Grounger; 12-01-2015 at 12:32 AM.
        Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 PM
        Good evening everyone. I am new here, but have been browsing and reading posts, specifically in this particular thread.

I just bought a 99 F350 V10. I am still working out some issues such as old stale fuel, oil change, etc etc. I have become aware of this blow out issue, and I am scared of this happening to my new used truck.

Though I have found a lot on 4.6 and 5.4's in this thread, not as much on the V10.

I'd like some guidance from the experienced members here. Steps I should take as I move forward getting my new used truck on the road? Is there something in particular I can do, before there is a plug blow out to avert the issue, preventative wise?

Should I experience a blow out, being that it's a bigger motor, (longer), can I have all 10 spark plug holes lock and stitched or otherwise preemptively addressed without having the heads removed?

I appreciate any guidance you all can give.

Thank you very much

Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
        Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
        To my knowledge, the blow out did not happen on the V-10 or it could be that there is just lesser numbers of them out there. Regardless, the known preventative for the blow out is to torque the plugs to 28 ft lbs. I would do that if the V-10 has the three threads per hole like the other heads. It's not necessary to do the lock and stich as a preventative.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 AM
        glc
        Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
        Yes, the V10's do blow out. 28 ft/lb with no antiseize will prevent it. Motorcraft plugs.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:38 PM
        Originally Posted by glc
        Yes, the V10's do blow out. 28 ft/lb with no antiseize will prevent it. Motorcraft plugs.
        Can I ask why Motorcraft plugs vs another name brand? Are other national name brands not meeting the same specs or?

This weekend, if I can, I will be pulling the fuel tank, cleaning it out of the remaining stale fuel, cleaning the fuel filter bag in the tank, and then I will address the spark plugs/torque issue.

Currently on start up (with the stale fuel), there is a lot of white smoke that comes out of the tailpipe. I noticed that the brake pedal is sinking to the ground. Mechanic friend (has not personally seen the truck) has told me to check for brake fluid in the booster, before I freak out thinking a blown head gasket is the cause. He is telling me a leaking valve in the master brake cylinder, can result in brake fluid sucking into the intake via vacuum, and that the fluid will burn white smoke. Crossing fingers that the trucks symptoms are all a mixture of terrible stale fuel, dirty varnished/gummed injectors, brake fluid leaking past the master cylinder valve and Hoping he is right.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:05 PM
        Global Moderator &

There is a much higher rate of guys coming on here stating that they have had a plug failure when using some brand other than Motorcraft. These engines seem to prefer the Motorcraft and they don't cost much if any more, so why not use them.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:34 PM
        glc
        They also have nickel plated threads, which eliminate the need for antiseize, which can contribute to loosening and blowout.

www.blownoutsparkplug.com FAQ's #51 and #52.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:12 PM
        Fair enough, motor craft plugs it shall be. First the fuel clean out and replacement, fuel filter and then see what changes in the motor running that brings. I'll pick up the plugs here shortly to have them on hand for replacement.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:36 PM
        Received 1 Like on 1 Post
        FYI ...got a 98 F150 with the beloved (sarcastic) 5.4L engine. it blows out #2, #3, #4 at any given time..had this truck since 2005 know all previous owners and who did the work before me. Maybe that is why I don't get rid of it..I know all it's quirks and how to fix them. #1 ..if you blow out a spark plug..don't panic..you are not stranded on the side of the road..you will sound like Machine Gun Kelly going down the road but it is still drive able..Example..blew out #4 for the 3rd time two days ago just south of 635 in Dallas on 75..if you don't live in Texas you can look it up on a map. I just kept right on going cause the 4th time I blew out #2 plug the mechanic had me drive it to his shop (reason being thread was stuck in head and I didn't have the tool to get it out) ..so don't panic..you can still drive your truck. also make sure you get the threads that have the lip. you won't necessarily have to rethread the hole..but in case you do..keep this suckers handy..also..invest in life time warranty coils..because paying 60 bucks a pop gets old quick and it don't **** you off so bad if you know the coil (at O'reilly's anyway) will be replaced free. the only ones that blow out are on the passenger side..#1 not usually because it fires hottest to start truck so you usually have to replace that one at least once a year if you put any miles on your truck at all..I'm a 61 almost 62 year old female that has owned this truck for 12 years..it has almost 270,000 miles on it..is 17 years old..I keep it greased and oil changed and fix what does break..in all these years..had to replace belt tension adjuster, air conditioner compressor, and heater coil, and don't know how many spark plugs and coils..good thing is about the plugs..when you fix them you got anywhere from 6 months to 2 years before it's going to do it again..and if you hear a ticking..take the time and go through and tighten all your plugs...cause it's backing out..#4 is a **** ant to get too but disconnect your battery and the wiring harness bracket on the firewall so that you can get to it..I have dealt with **** mechanics the last year so my 61 year old butt does the work herself..least I know it's done right and I don't create problems for myself..some mechanics screw **** up for return business (and I said some not all) and to all those that do it right the first time..cudos ..you earn every dime you make but everyone can't afford it..Good luck and I love my truck..with all it's quirks..it runs great and I know what to look for..think about that before you go trading it off for somebody else's headaches (which is what you get when you buy a used car or a new one..they have quirks too) Smile it's sunny in Texas and about 70 degrees ..prefect weather for shade tree mechanics.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 PM
        Received 1 Like on 1 Post
        as for motorcraft plugs..when #4 came out it the glass was broken..free spinning..autolite doesn't do that..but not knocking motorcraft plugs cause #3 has had the same plug in since before I bought the truck in 2005.. I recently found out that it has blown out that plug too but they used a heavy duty thread with a lip 5/8 threads and it has never given me a bit of trouble..if I hadn't had to clean off the plugs..or I wouldn't have known it had been fixed

Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
        Hello Guys,

I experienced my 1st plug blowout on my 2003 E-350 van with the 5.4 Triton engine and 101,000 miles. It blew while I was on a 2 hour trip, but I took it easy all the way home from Daytona Beach.

Does anyone rent out the insert kit or do I need to purchase it? Does anyone know someone in the Stuart Florida area that could perform this type of work?

I can be reached at (772) 200-7300.

Thank You!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 AM
        glc
        Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM
        Hello everyone.

So I was driving Toyota's as my personal cars for last 17 or so years, and recently my venerable 4Runner got killed in very minor accident, thanks to ridiculous tow charges and insurance companies. Salvage that I can't even retrieve, but that's offtopic.

In the same time I was driving Fords as my work trucks for last 7 years and was pretty happy with them (especially because all the repairs and stuff was done by the company). Anyway, couple days ago I took a leap of faith and bought 2003 Expedition. When buying I didn't notice anything wrong with the engine, but after reading numerous posts about spark plugs blowout I started to freakout more and more ))

So here is how my engine sound now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gngn...ature=youtu.be

is that normal? Or is it that dreadful ticking noise which is a warning sign for imminent blowout? I'm puzzled a bit because I can hear this exact ticking noise in every other engine - in my 2015 F250, in rented 2016 Durango 5.7L. My 2004 4Runner did the same..
        Should I worry and sweat everytime I start the truck (or, rather, SUV), or warning sign sounds differently?

oh, forgot to say - this one has 280000km - around 174k miles - and looks like plugs were never changed. I'm taking it to dealership tomorrow to replace all the fluids etc. My idea was to ask them to retorque all the plugs, but looks like it will be pretty expensive job from dealership due to access problems..

Last edited by zerberr; 08-07-2017 at 06:52 PM.
        Old 08-07-2017, 06:51 PM
        Global Moderator &

Just change the plugs, replace with Motorcraft, torque to 28 ft lbs, no antisieze.

Search this Thread
        Quick Reply: living with ford spark plug blow out problem