Smoke out the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke out the exhaust

I was getting air in tires today as i have to every 3 -4 days (still have firestones factory on it) and i got to the back of the truck and all of a sudden to puffs of white smoke came out the tail pipe. I got in the truck and reved it up to see if it would smoke again and it wont. I have 53,000 on the truck and drive rough but not that rough. Hell i thought i rapped it pretty good a few times but i guess i havent as ive ben told there is a 4800rpm rev limit on these trucks and that the redline would be 5400rpm and ive have never hit the rev limit. Most of the time its just fast 80-95 mph driving to work in the morning. The motor feels strong still so what what couse the smoke puffs i saw like that?? I was going to supercharge this truck in a couple months but dont know if i will if my motor is starting to act up. If so its new truck time. I hate to as this one is paid for and looks new still.

Old 03-16-2002, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't worry

Hiya,

I wouldn't worry about it. An occasional puff of white smoke is nothing more than mostly steam. Water vapor getting condensed as it passes through the temperatures on the way out the back. I would guess it was a cool morning correct?

Kind of like seeing your breath in cold air, just with more volume and more temperature extremes

If it becomes a continual white smoke, then you can be more concerned that you may have a head gasket failing or something more inline with a problem.

If it runs good, idles smooth and gave no "Check Engine" light, I wouldn't worry one bit over it. Keep a watch out if you think its a sign of bad things to come, but don't lose any sleep over it.

Let us know how teh blower future is looking.

Old 03-16-2002, 09:32 PM
thanks for the reply. Im not as worried since it hasnt done it since. It did look like steam and didnt smell like anything. I was right next to the pipe. It was a cool morning. I just thought it was strange that it wasnt a constant stream of it. Thats what made me think it wasnt steam. Yea i'll post when i get the blower. I plan to have it by the july.

Old 03-23-2002, 01:53 PM
mine does it quite a bit, but I'm not burning oil, so I'm not too worried.

Quick Reply: Smoke out the exhaust