Stop-start on the 2018 F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:34 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stop-start on the 2018 F-150?

There are some great updates coming in 2018, and you can read all about them here. But stop-start tech has always kind of irritated me. I like the idea of a 10-speed auto though.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If the start stop feature is going to be like the 2017 Escape which my wife has a Titanium, I don't see it being a big deal. On her car there is a button on the dash to turn it off. But you have to turn it off at every startup. You can learn to disable it by letting off the brakes as well. You come to a stop and after a few seconds, it turns the engine off. Let up on the brakes and the engine starts. She's learned to stop, get off of the brakes and back on the brakes again, wait a few seconds and repeat. The engine doesn't stop. If my wife can figure this out, shouldn't be an issue for a guy. I'm not sure about a 10 speed auto. Seems like it's going to be hunting for the right gear a lot but I also haven't driven one yet. Then again, maybe this is just the conditioner for the CV transmissions that are supposed to take over.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Supposedly this will disable it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNP7UO/

Old 02-01-2017, 12:34 PM
F150 Town Crier
Originally Posted by Labnerd
If the start stop feature is going to be like the 2017 Escape which my wife has a Titanium, I don't see it being a big deal. On her car there is a button on the dash to turn it off. But you have to turn it off at every startup. You can learn to disable it by letting off the brakes as well. You come to a stop and after a few seconds, it turns the engine off. Let up on the brakes and the engine starts. She's learned to stop, get off of the brakes and back on the brakes again, wait a few seconds and repeat. The engine doesn't stop. If my wife can figure this out, shouldn't be an issue for a guy. I'm not sure about a 10 speed auto. Seems like it's going to be hunting for the right gear a lot but I also haven't driven one yet. Then again, maybe this is just the conditioner for the CV transmissions that are supposed to take over.
I see what you're saying, and to be honest, the only time I had any issue with a stop-start was a total user error. A bridge was up, and I'd shifted to park. Bonehead move. But I guess I just find it annoying more than anything else.

But I think the ten-speed will be pretty solid, even while I wonder how many more cogs manufacturers are going to add. Though I'd rather have a three-speed than a CVT, I hated every one of those, ha ha.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM
F150 Town Crier
Originally Posted by glc
Supposedly this will disable it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNP7UO/
Well, the fact that it won't aside. It does look kind of cool. But the quality sounds suspect.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:28 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Well, anything that will plug into the 4 pin connector and make the system think there's a trailer connected should work.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM
F150 Town Crier
Originally Posted by glc
Well, anything that will plug into the 4 pin connector and make the system think there's a trailer connected should work.
Oh, duh. Yeah. I didn't have enough coffee this morning.