'97 4.2 IMRC Stuck Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 4.2 IMRC Stuck Open

This is my first post in a auto forum. I'm pretty good at searching for what I want to know, but not knowledgeable enough to be much help... so I've been looking this up and scouring the internet. I haven't heard anyone talk about specifics yet. I'm looking to fix the issue, so here are my specifics if anyone is willing to help me understand:
  • IMRC Valve Stuck Open (P1537 & P1538)
  • I feel it running rough, especially idling in park or stopped.
  • I have gone ahead and taken the upper intake off. I realize the runner valves are very dirty. However, I don't think this is my issue.
  • The butterfly valve is wide-open on the passenger side.
  • If I push it closed with my finger, I can hear a "air pressure" sound. When I take my finger off the valve it SLAMS back open.

What I can't understand (due to my simple mind and lack of knowledge) is why it forces itself open?

P.S.I really want to avoid taking off the lower if I can help it.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Almost 150 views - no one knows?

FWIW I think I found out the IMRC valves are supposed to be open when the vehicle is not running. Which makes me think something is wrong with the other side - it doesn't slam back open. I'll check to see if the "actuator arm" (IDK what it's called) is hooked up to it.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:04 AM
Does anyone have an idea where I can get some pointers? Another category or forum?