'97 Ford F150 4.2L V6 crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 Ford F150 4.2L V6 crank but no start

I have been at this issue for a couple of months now. Up until this point, I have seemingly solved the problem many times. Now I cant get it too start at all. The truck will turn over, but will not start/catch. Battery is good, all lights inside come on fine, they do not get dim or anything when you crank the vehicle. Starter has too be good because the engine does turn over. Repair history for this issue includes, new Crankshaft Position Sensor, new Camshaft Position Sensor, new Ignition Coil, new Spark Plugs, new Wires, new DPFE Sensor, new EGR Valve Vacuum Control(?) (I think that is what its called), new Throttle Position Sensor, removed the Throttle Body off the Upper Intake Manifold and cleaned it, cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve, new Thermostat (all I can think of right now). Thermostat was replaced due too a seperate issue. There are other repairs I have made too the vehicle as well, but they are not relevant too the problem I have now. My next course of action right now according to the reading and research I have done on the issue, is too replace the EGR Valve itself, also the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperture) Sensor. I know the coolant in the engine is good. Right before I had this issue, I flushed out the entire coolant system and poured in brand new coolant. As for the obvious, the vehicle has 3/4 tank of gas in it. I hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key too the On position. There is Oil. Right before this issue started, I also performed a oil change. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
One thing I should mention. In the past, while having this issue, and replacing certain parts here an there, seemingly solving the issue. I would be able to get it started with a lot of priming the key, letting the fuel pump run a few times, pumping the accelerator, etc. I could for example get it started in the morning, drive it, park it, let it sit all day, an that evening, start it right back up! But after it sits all night, is when I am back with the same issue all over again. I just dont understand that?? I live in North Carolina. 20s, 30s at night right now. 40s, 50s during the day. The problem does seem too have gotten worse with the colder weather. During the warmer weather, the truck would act a little "cold blooded" in the morning, have to give it some gas while starting it, but it was never REAL hesitant.

Last edited by CP32087; 02-09-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Have you tried holding the pedal down slightly? What about holding it to the floor?

If the IAC is bad, holding it down slightly it should start. If the fuel injectors are leaky, holding to the floor will shut them off and let it start, clearing the flooded engine.

Nowhere do I see that you have changed the fuel filter or done a fuel pressure test with a gauge?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 PM
I did change the Fuel Filter as well. Forgot too mention that. I have held the pedal down too the floor while cranking it, and let it up slowly . That is how I got it started a few times before. I also performed this step the last time I attempted too get it started. Tried holding it down halfway as well.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 PM
However, no I have not performed a fuel pressure test. I guess the Fuel Rail under the Upper Intake Manifold would be the best place too test the fuel pressure?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Seems that you do not know if it is a fuel issue or ignition issue.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 PM
No, I have no idea which one it is

Old 02-10-2016, 10:10 AM
glc
There is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to connect a gauge to. Gauges can be rented/borrowed from most parts stores. It probably won't start if it's less than 28 psi.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
There is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to connect a gauge to. Gauges can be rented/borrowed from most parts stores. It probably won't start if it's less than 28 psi.
Thank you. I am going too try that next. Do you know what would cause the fuel pressure too be low (if it is)?

Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 PM
glc
Fuel pump on its last legs or a plugged fuel filter - or some other blockage.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Also a bad regulator could cause the low fuel pressure. But the regulator is rarely the problem.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 PM
The Fuel Filter was the very first thing that I changed when I started having issues. It didnt make it any better nor any noticeable difference. The pedal method worked for a short time. But its not working anymore. I tried just pumping it. I tried holding it halfway. Tried holding it too the floor. Tried holding it too the floor and letting it up slowly, all while cranking. Cant get anything out of it. It just turns over and over and over. It acts like it wants too start, but something is just not letting it. I can hear the fuel pump running. Ive cycled the key a few times before cranking. I will just have too see what the fuel pressure test shows up.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a shot in the dark......Pull the fuel filter again and drain it into a glass jar, inspect for water. If you have a ton of water in the fuel system it could be freezing in the line and causing a blockage. Like I said-a shot in the dark.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I will give that a shot. I am thinking about pulling the Fuel Filter off anyways, just too check it.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge?

Old 02-17-2016, 05:56 PM
I am going too get too it this weekend. Thats my plan. Lately, I have either been busy or the weather doesnt cooperate. Honestly I really hope that test gives me something too go on. I know I've covered everything too do with ignition & spark. I have tested too make sure there is spark. Both from every location on the coil and all the plugs, in both directions. Everything is firing. Not too mention, all of it has been replaced with new parts. I will post the results on the fuel pressure test after I do it. I believe somebody replied on here and said, if it is less than 28 psi, it probably isnt going too start (?)

Quick Reply: '97 Ford F150 4.2L V6 crank but no start