Setup for 6 months won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setup for 6 months won't start.

My 2000 F150 V6 has been sitting up for about 6 months. I've just changed the water pump. Now that it's back together it won't start.

1. I've used starter fluid it it does fire up so I know it's getting spark, but it dies as the fluid is burned away.
2. It is old fuel.
3. When I turn the key to RUN, I hear a click on the fire wall.
4. I found a Schrader valve on the firewall connected to what looks like something for the injectors/fuel distribution. Not sure how to use it.
5. I pressed in the Schrader Valve and nothing happened. Not sure if it should have pressure or only when trying to start, but I hear a clicking at that spot. I need someone to be there to know for sure.

6. I'm considering draining the fuel but I've never done that before and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Is there an additive I can put in the tank to refresh the fuel like with my lawn mower?

Otherwise, I'd like to get some advise from everyone if you would please. Thanks,

Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would remove the fuel filter, and turn the key to ON. See if fuel comes out.

If it does, then remove and inspect the fuel filter. At this point, it wouldn't hurt to replace it if you haven't already.

If no fuel comes out, then likely your pump is shot.

How much fuel do you have in it?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a couple seconds, and fuel should spray out if you hit the Schrader valve. If the fuel pump won't run, check the fuel pump relay and the inertia switch behind the passenger kick panel. Also bang on the tank with a rubber mallet or your fist.

You can't refresh stale fuel, you can only put stabilizer in it before you store it. Once it's stale, it's stale.

Don't worry about the fuel quality till you can get fuel pressure.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, So ManualF150 and GLC - Basically, I took everyone's advise. Thanks to you both and to the others whose posts I've read. It's running now. It was the fuel pump. I couldn't hear it, even when I put my ear up to the tank and had my wife turn the key on. I replaced the filter and the pump. Rather than playing around, I replaced the entire assembly with a Delphi/Fuel Pump - Price: $164.99 -
What I did was raise the bed 18 inches or so, so I could get easy access to it. I didn't like the videos I saw of lowering the tank. It was just my wife and I, so once I had the 8, torx 50 screws removed, I lifted the bed on the drivers side about an inch and slid the bed backward off the litmus tabs. Then from the tailgate, I pulled back further and rested the tailgate and more exactly the cutouts for the tail lights, on the bumper. I have a 3x1.5 in. C-shaped aluminum rail from an old server rack that's about 7 feet long. My wife and I, on each side of the truck, lifted the bed just behind the cab high enough to slide that rack rail under the bed laying it on the two bed mounts closest to the cab. This raises the base of the bed about 18 to 20 inches giving plenty of room to work. All tolled, including replacement of the pump and filter took just under 3 hours. The truck started right up too. Thanks to you guys for your insight. It was very helpful.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good job! Very satisfying when you solve a headache such as that, isn't it? Glad the guys were able to help you.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Congratulations!

Quick Reply: Setup for 6 months won't start.