Loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loosing coolant

I'm loosing a little less than a gallon of coolant every couple months. I don't see any leaks in the driveway and I can't really see the front of the motor. Has anybody else had this issue? 2011 ecoboost with 140k miles. I'm guessing it's water pump time.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If the pump has a weep hole like the older vehicles I'm used to, take a look. If the pump shaft seal isn't leaking, no need to replace it. If the coolant is leaking out, you should be able to find the leak. If not, you may have a head gasket leak.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
If the pump has a weep hole like the older vehicles I'm used to, take a look. If the pump shaft seal isn't leaking, no need to replace it. If the coolant is leaking out, you should be able to find the leak. If not, you may have a head gasket leak.
I think it's just a regular water pump. I'm used to replacing water pumps every 60 or 100k so I might go ahead and plan for it. Ford has two pumps listed with the same number but different price. Also if you search by part number it pulls up a water pump for the diesels. I guess I'll have to break down and go to the parts counter.

Quick Reply: Loosing coolant