New coil packs and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New coil packs and will not start

I just replaced all 6 coil packs and plugs on my 2011 f150 ecoboost and then went to start it. Nothing, the engine cranks and cranks. Upon further inspection, I found that the new packs were not the same. My original packs have three terminals, the new ones have two. I reinstalled the old packs and the truck still will not start. I am 100% sure all connections are connected correctly. I disconnected the battery for a 1/2 hour and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
DId you plug in the connector for the HPFP?? Drivers side rear you should have unplugged it to get to the rear plug

Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Did

Originally Posted by Michcongasman
I just replaced all 6 coil packs and plugs on my 2011 f150 ecoboost and then went to start it. Nothing, the engine cranks and cranks. Upon further inspection, I found that the new packs were not the same. My original packs have three terminals, the new ones have two. I reinstalled the old packs and the truck still will not start. I am 100% sure all connections are connected correctly. I disconnected the battery for a 1/2 hour and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you figure this out? I just replaced 2 coils. Same issue 2 terminals on new ones 3 on the old ones. Won't start now.
​​​​​​

Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Was anyone able to find a solution to this problem? I ordered 6 new coil packs from MSD, installed them all and have the same problem. I contacted MSD and let them know the issue and they’re stating that they have no responsibility over it even though the coil packs sent are recommended for a 2012 Ford F-150 FX4 ecoboost 3.5L.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:43 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Why didn't you get Motorcraft coils? None of the aftermarket coils are any better. Unless they are defective, put the originals back in.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 AM
I'm going to throw my two cents in on this, I replaced my 8 coils with a popular non-motorcraft performance version with yellow tops that cost less than half what the motorcrafts go for (they were actually less than what 3 motorcrafts would've cost). That was about 4 years ago now and I haven't had a single hiccup from them.
That said, the one thing I discovered reading many of the bad reviews while researching what to buy was almost EVERY bad review was from someone who ordered the wrong part for their vehicle. An example: the 2V 5.4L coil is slightly different from the 3V 5.4L version, the boot of one is at an angle and the connector is in a different location. While apparently you can make these "interchange" it still isn't the correct "plug and play" situation.
I have to believe, without further details, that the wrong part was ordered. If that's the case, perhaps going to the Ford parts counter and ordering OEM parts would've been the best choice to avoid any trouble

Old 09-01-2018, 09:57 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
perhaps going to the Ford parts counter and ordering OEM parts
You don't have to go to the dealer. The same OEM parts are available online considerably cheaper.

Quick Reply: New coil packs and will not start