How Impossible is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Impossible is this?

Hi All,

my 2001 F150 is a supercrew 4x4 with 365K miles on the clock.

I ponder what to do with my daily driver once the current engine dies.

I wonder how many ways would it be impossible to stuff a new ecoboost (from a crate maybe?) in my '01 ?

anyone ???? Thx, jackc...

Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It would probably cost as much as a new truck by the time you get done. I believe crate Ecoboosts are around 12 grand.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anything is possible given enough time, skill and money. You will need a lot of all of these for this swap.

However here's a quick list of things that you will have to deal with to make it happen.

Steering - the EB uses electric power assistance on a rack and pinion setup. Your truck uses hydraulic boost on a reticulating ball type.

Tranny - the 4R70W you have should bolt up to the EB since they both use the modular Ford bellhousing. But that's where the wheels fall off. Your trans is controlled via the PCM the ZF trans uses an external controller that's linked to the CAN bus. Your truck doesn't have a CAN bus.

Engine Management - the electronic controls are wildly different between the two trucks. The later trucks have a locked PCM to add another level of problems.

Now, Ford is releasing a stand alone engine control for the EB. But... It is for the car EB not the truck version. The variable cams on the truck engine are supposed to be a real pain to deal with.

It would be a great swap if you can pull it off but you're gonna have a lot of work.

Quick Reply: How Impossible is this?