2013 Ecoboost overheating towing up hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Sorry for the rant.. Yeah, should not have posted, as I was stuck inside due to the weather we had Saturday (finally some rain, but accompanied by a lot of wind too..) and had a few too many beers!

I still think the Eco has too small of a rad!

Mitch

I was wondering what happened... never seen you go off like that before, Lol

Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF150
I still think the Eco has too small of a rad!
the bigger radiator makes a huge improvement, coolant temps sit around 180-190: http://www.full-race.com/store/ecobo...upgrade-1.html

Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dats pretty!!!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I had the same problem this summer. 2014 ecoboost started to overheat pulling a 7500# trailer up the i5 through oregon and washington state. It heated up as soon as we hit an incline and would climb. As soon as the grade levelled of it dropped back to normal immediately. I had no issue the previous summer with it loaded right up and towing it fro northern Ontario to Washington state. We pulled big hills in 30*+ weather with no issue and now this. So disappointed.
Originally Posted by 5land
Read the rest of the threads on this Mitch. Bottom line is I don't believe the truck IS overheating, the computer just is warning us it might. As I've posted, same truck, same pulls, same trailer, same time of year, the only change is a one and only PCM update and now the truck won't do the job. Is there something wrong with complaining about something my Ecoboost USED to do easily? And the fact that my trailer is not even 2/3 of its Ford rated tow rating? If I was pulling 10000# I could maybe understand it.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecosean
I had the same problem this summer. 2014 ecoboost started to overheat pulling a 7500# trailer up the i5 through oregon and washington state. It heated up as soon as we hit an incline and would climb. As soon as the grade levelled of it dropped back to normal immediately. I had no issue the previous summer with it loaded right up and towing it fro northern Ontario to Washington state. We pulled big hills in 30*+ weather with no issue and now this. So disappointed.
Welcome to the forum, Ecosean! Have you had any issues with overheating since your trip this past summer? How many miles are on your truck now? I'm here to help.

Crystal

Old 10-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Hi crystal. I have a 2014 with 44,000kms on it. I have had no issues since that day. I was actually able to record the temp gauge rising on a few smaller hills in the area, but missed the overheating on the big pulls. All other temps were normal.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecosean
Hi crystal. I have a 2014 with 44,000kms on it. I have had no issues since that day. I was actually able to record the temp gauge rising on a few smaller hills in the area, but missed the overheating on the big pulls. All other temps were normal.
I'm glad you haven't had any additional issues, Ecosean! I'm assuming by your use of kilometers that you live in Canada. If anything comes up in the future, I recommend reaching out to my Canadian colleagues here on the forum. They post under the name FordServiceCA. Here's a link to their profile: https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...serviceca.html

Crystal

Old 10-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Thumbs up No Overheating Problems!

I finally got to take my 2014 EcoBoost SCrew on a towing trip when we went camping last week with our 3600# travel trailer. This truck beats my old 2005 5.4L King Ranch hands down!

On the steep climb up the Mogollon Rim in Arizona, the coolent temperature, measured using my Torque App addition to my smartphone stayed at or below 206 degrees. My speed there was probably around 45, due to the winding road. In the much longer steep climb from the North into Flagstaff, holding a steady speed of 65, the transmission temperature never exceeded 208 degrees, and, it was in 4th gear during the steepest part.

The old truck would easily reach coolant temperatures in the 220s and transmission temps in the 220's too, with the transmission needing to be in 2nd gear for the pull.

To be fair, the outside temperature was in the high 70s, so probably it would run hotter in the full 100+ degree summers we have here in Arizona, but I KNOW it is running cooler than the older truck would have under the same conditions, and, at a higher commanded gear.

Our travel through Northern Arizona and Southern Utah was mostly over 2 lane roads, and passing slower traffic (I try to hold 65 when towing) was much easier (and faster) with the EcoBoost as well.

And, my fuel economy is at least 1 mpg higher with the new truck while towing compared with the old. Even on hills, unless they were fairly steep, the transmission would stay in 6th gear. My old truck would drop into 3rd at the slightest uphill climb. And, with the old truck, I'd have to "help" the cruise control maintain a set speed with manual addition of the throttle on climbs or it would drop so much that it would disengage. This truck held my set speed within 4 mph in all climbs with no help from me.

So, either Ford has adjusted the "reduced power" syndrome in my model year truck or I'll have to wait for a summer towing trip to have it happen. In the meantime, I can't be happier with my "new" truck!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 PM
No Over Heating Problems Here

We pull our 5er up, down & around the Southern Rockies in Southern Colorado with our 13' Ecoboost. Have only once had the trans temp go above 215 & engine temp above 225 (truck digital gauge & Edge CTS monitor). I always use T/H when the 5er is attached and always cancel the cruise control when going up any rise in elevation of any extended length, especially Coal Bank, Molas &/or Wolf Creek Pass. Ambient air temps are usually in the mid to upper 80's with occasional mid 90's. Truck has also towed our former 31' TT & now our 5er around the Pacific Northwest (Oregon & Washington coasts) and all points in between. Did see trans temp hit 220 briefly going up Santiam Pass between Albany & Sisters Oregon. Most times temps stay ..trans 202-208 & engine 195-205.

Milo

Old 07-31-2016, 11:30 PM
2013 ecoboost overheating

I live in Denver Colorado, I have owned a 2013 ford f150 3.5l Ecoboost, which I bought new. My problem with over heating started about 1 year ago while towing my 26 foot 8000lb trailer up Eisenhower tunnel east bound. The engine got really hot the motor went into safe mode and cut down the power. When I went into Phil Long Ford Denver and told them about it, they stated they'd never heard this problem. I went on-line and found this great site, printed it and showed them. They said maybe it was the thermostat and replaced it charging me 200 dollars because the computer showed no sign that it ever overheated, despite the fact that I have an extended warranty. Since the "fix" the overheating has worsened. I was going west bound on 285 the temp was about 86 the grade not that bad, but any incline I drove up it would over heat, as soon as I would level out the temp would go down. I have towed this same drive last year, and it did not overheat. This time it would get to the white hot line and stop so the motor never went on safe mode. This time I took pictures with my phone and tomorrow I'm going in. I will keep you guy's posted.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:50 PM
2013 Ecoboost Overheating

I've only started to have the overheating problems described in this forum for my 2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 43,000 miles on it. Never had any problems before, even though I'm pulling the same trailer on the same grades. Read something about a sensor being faulty and the engine not really overheating, but in my case, right before it went into limp mode I heard the engine knocking, and the tranny temp was over 270F. MPG went from around 12 to 6 while towing. Hard to imagine that being just a sensor issue. Been to 2 dealers, and replaced the plugs on my own...no solution.

So, I am preparing to move to another vehicle, but I thought I would check and ask a simple question: has anyone with these same symptoms ever solved the problem? Really solved it? Or, is perhaps Ford avoiding the issue as they would have a lot of exposure with so many Ecoboost F150's out there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Hauliniron, welcome to our forum. How big is your trailer, and what kind of grade were you pulling it on?

Your symptoms sound to me like something very serious is going on. The normal range for the transmission temps is 195-205. If you hit 270, you need to change your transmission fluid NOW. And, there MAY be transmission damage. The other symptoms sound very ominous too.

I'd guess your computer is not enriching the mixture properly, and that leads to overheating and knocking. Don't let a dealership sell you on having the thermostat replaced - I don't think they fail that way.

- Jack

Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 PM
new truck

Well they tried a new thermostat and that didn't work. My f150 has the complete tow package and I was told it should be able to tow 11,000 lbs when I bought it. Now there telling me that is sea level, so now i'm down to around 7,000 lbs because of elevation. Turns out my trailer really weights about 6,400 lbs and the truck weights about 7,100 lbs so that is a total of around 13,000 lbs total. There telling me that anytime they tell you it will tow 11,000 lbs they mean total weight (truck and trailer). Have any of you guy's ever heard of this or is this just bull. Anyway I bought a diesel and i'm going to sell the truck.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Bollerk - You're going to be happier with a diesel. Yes, your truck SHOULD be able to move a 6000+ # trailer, but you are putting a lot of strain on it and the suspension is probably overloaded.

Ideally, you should limit what you tow to 80% of the max specified (according to ALL the trailer towing guides I've read).

- Jack

Old 08-14-2016, 06:47 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
There telling me that anytime they tell you it will tow 11,000 lbs they mean total weight (truck and trailer).
Incorrect. Under ideal conditions (which you will never see) it's rated to tow up to 11k with the max tow package. The rating for truck AND trailer is "GCWR" and will be in the 17k range with the max tow package.

Bottom line, you should NOT have had any problems towing a 6400# trailer at ANY elevation. The suspension will only be overloaded if you have a pretty hefty load of people and cargo in the truck. Weight of the truck plus the tongue weight of the trailer should not exceed the truck GVWR, which is on the door jamb sticker.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost overheating towing up hills