Shuttering when in 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuttering when in 4 wheel drive

I have a 2013 FX4 V-6 and when in two wheel drive there are no issues. When in 4 wheel high there is a violent shuttering when at a low speed like making a turn. It feels like its coming from the back end. Its still under warranty and I will take it to the shop. Anyone else having this issue? Wondering what to expect.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bdeaton
I have a 2013 FX4 V-6 and when in two wheel drive there are no issues. When in 4 wheel high there is a violent shuttering when at a low speed like making a turn. It feels like its coming from the back end. Its still under warranty and I will take it to the shop. Anyone else having this issue? Wondering what to expect.

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I can't stand it any longer, so I have to ask: Did you possibly mean that you are experiencing a shudder in your truck?

A "shutter" is something you place over a window to block:
1. Light
2. Wind
3. Other weather
or,
1. A device in a camera to briefly allow light input.
2. A device in a movie lens assembly to block light as the film is moved from frame to frame.
3. A device you place over stage lighting to control it.
4. A device placed over signal lighting on ships at sea.
There are other uses for the word "shutter", but I don't see them applying to a vehicle engine.

And, I'm not picking on you. I've seen others misuse this word over and over, hence, my reaction.

- Jack
^^^ Straight from the Moderazzi

What we'd expect, is fer the 'shop' to fix it. Under warranty. And heaven help ye if you've modded the truck in any fashion.

No one here can really help you with the dearth of info you've provided so far. And with the apparent lack of any simple courtesies like 'hello', 'please' or 'thankee' on yer part, I don't see myself applying any effort to search the danged forum fer similar issues. Reckon you can do that: https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php . Believe it 'er not, 'shutter' returns more hits than 'shudder' - likely due to years and years of homeschoolin' 'n bad grammar

Regardless - good luck wif ye 'shutters'.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-21-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

^^^ Straight from the Moderazzi

What we'd expect, is fer the 'shop' to fix it. Under warranty. And heaven help ye if you've modded the truck in any fashion.

No one here can really help you with the dearth of info you've provided so far. And with the apparent lack of any simple courtesies like 'hello', 'please' or 'thankee' on yer part, I don't see myself applying any effort to search the danged forum fer similar issues. Reckon you can do that: https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php . Believe it 'er not, 'shutter' returns more hits than 'shudder' - likely due to years and years of homeschoolin' 'n bad grammar

MGD
As a new member and first time posting to this site, I am less impressed with your response Jack-azz. I did not realize that I would also cross paths with an English professor. I have a few acronyms for your MGD too. Since you seem to know it all smart mouth, why can't you tell me what the problem is? In the length of time you wrote a dissertation about my pronunciation, you could have offered a suggestion or said nothing at all. Its better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!

Old 02-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
As a new member and first time posting to this site, I am less impressed with your response Jack-azz. I did not realize that I would also cross paths with an English professor. I have a few acronyms for your MGD too. Since you seem to know it all smart mouth, why can't you tell me what the problem is? In the length of time you wrote a dissertation about my pronunciation, you could have offered a suggestion or said nothing at all. Its better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
Sorry, I'm not an English professor or even an English major. I'm an aerospace engineer and computer scientist by training. But, part of learning engineering was learning to communicate.

Now that I've said that, follow MGD's advice. Take the truck to your dealer. It should still be under warranty and they should fix it!

Edit: I should acknowledge that I've been reacting to "shutter" as if it was a noun. People are using it on this site as a verb, which it also is. "To shutter" means to "close up". So, if the back end of your truck is closing up, then you have correctly described your problem.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 02-21-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Sir Jack
So, if the back end of your truck is closing up, then you have correctly described your problem.
Would that not more accurately be characterized as 'constipation'?

To the OP - kindly explain how being a new member exempts you from displaying basic manners?

On a technical note, please feed back what the shop found so that someone in the future may benefit when they are looking for answers to their 'shudder'. That too is considered good forum conduct.

Thanks in advance, and best of luck.

Regards;
Ol' Bubber

Old 02-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Would that not more accurately be characterized as 'constipation'? ...<snip>...

A constipated truck! Beautiful! And, I can see how that would bother some owners. Maybe the fix is a dose of ExLax in the gas tank.

- Jack

Old 02-21-2015, 02:08 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Believe it 'er not, 'shutter' returns more hits than 'shudder' - likely due to years and years of homeschoolin' 'n bad grammar

MGD
Yer kiddin'. Please tell me it ain't so!

Lawd, please hep us 'n keep them of us whut's e'en half-ways bright safe from the e'er growin' herd o' millennials, bros, numb-nuts, slack-jaws, knuckle-draggers, 'n dimwits... E'en though we be sorely outnumbered.

Hey.

So. Considering the fact that you provided basically no background information (mods, road conditions, etc), and the use of terms and words of appreciation like "thanks", "please", etc, is absent, what would you have MGDfan or anyone else do? You asked why MGD didn't just answer your question. My answer to that is two-fold: How could he? Furthermore, why would he?

It's quite difficult to look at one's ayss 'n read 'is mind. Throw in the lack of common manners, and it becomes down-right impossible to provide much help. You added an old saying at the end of your reply. You could stand to study on that one a spell, yeseff.

By the way, he did offer suggestions. I reckon all your attention was on your freshly chapped, red ayss, and you plumb missed it.

Life's awful short, yungun. It's even shorter without a sense of humor.

Last edited by DewserB; 02-21-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When in 4 wheel high there is a violent shuttering when at a low speed like making a turn
Did you do this on pavement? If so, that's what's gonna happen.. Do you have the E lock rear end? If so, did you also engage that? That'll do it even if you were in 2wd.

Lots of great people on this site with TONS of info and we ALL have a pretty good sense of humor that usually comes out in our posts, so don't get your panties in a wad on your second post and just answer the followup questions and don't expect the first post to your question to be the answer to the meaning of life..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Ok an engineer? That explains your severe **** retentive nature. What I have found is that most engineers can solve complex problems but can't tie their own shoes.

Jack it still really bothers you that you weren't not hugged much as a kid and not respected by your coworkers. I bet Janet has been faking it all these years and just finally told you that you're not much of a man. So to feel accepted, you hide behind a computer to lash out at others. I bet you don't run that smart mouth to someone's face do you? I would be giddy like a kid Christmas morning for you to talk like this to me in person.

Sorry I did not bring milk and cookies to this forum. You do not have much of a life to sit on top of a computer on a Saturday snd run that mouth.

Oh and while we are comparing our manhood, how about two Master's degrees here and not a socially awkward misfit like you.

Please don't think you are upsetting me. My mouth is bigger and smarter than yours. I can go at this all day. So in between my productive afternoon, I will occasionally stop to engage in conversation with you so you don't kill yourself.

Oh and no home school millenial here. Don't beieve in the ***** society we are raising today. But you can't have kids so you wouldn't know. I have some good seeds for Janet. Unlike they bad ones your father used with your mother. Sorry you were an accident and never really wanted.

QUOTE=JackandJanet;5135081]Sorry, I'm not an English professor or even an English major. I'm an aerospace engineer and computer scientist by training. But, part of learning engineering was learning to communicate.

Now that I've said that, follow MGD's advice. Take the truck to your dealer. It should still be under warranty and they should fix it!

Edit: I should acknowledge that I've been reacting to "shutter" as if it was a noun. People are using it on this site as a verb, which it also is. "To shutter" means to "close up". So, if the back end of your truck is closing up, then you have correctly described your problem.

- Jack[/QUOTE]

Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Ok an engineer? That explains your severe **** retentive nature. What I have found is that most engineers can solve complex problems but can't tie their own shoes.

Jack it still really bothers you that you weren't not hugged much as a kid and not respected by your coworkers. ...<snip>...
Deary me, I really hit a nerve (or perhaps your whole nervous system) didn't I? Sorry you're still having trouble communicating as evidenced with that double negative. Maybe your two Master's Degrees were somewhat wasted.

I won't bother to dignify on the rest of your childish rant with any response other than to say you are displaying your maturity in a very negative manner.

Now - either stop driving your truck in 4WD on hardball like a teenager who got his license through Sears, or take it back to the dealership.

- Jack

Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Master's degrees don't mean you have a lick of common sense. Socially awkward misfit? I detect the pot calling the kettle black here.........

Maybe you should go find another forum where they let the kids run wild and all the posts are in textspeak, sounds like that would be a lot more up your alley.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:33 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

^^^ Because, apparently, I have no life. Awww....

Oh well, at least I didn't blow a bunch of money to get extra letters to attach to my name only to misuse them in proper context. I misspells on purpose, aight?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang.. Instead of trying to figure out what's going on with your truck, or if it's a normal situation because you just don't put a 4wd truck in 4wd and have it drive normally when you make tight turns on pavement... You come off as a complete ***..

I only have a HS diploma and tried college, but it didn't work for me... I learned a hell of a lot more striking it out on my own and learning how to live in this world, and making a decent living, without riding the waves of a stupid degree that really means nothing in your case, since you can't even communicate on a simple truck forum to figure out a really simple issue...

But, argue, flaunt your stupid education and get everyone pissed at you in 3 posts... Way to go College Boy!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 02-21-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:43 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by MitchF150
Way to go College Boy!

New siggy quote! May I, Mitch?

Yeah. Because nothing says "I'm a REAL man" quite like having a bunch of degrees but getting a horrible case of the red-ayss on a truck forum.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Constipated, indeed. And I'm not talking about the truck.

OP - It so happens that, during the time you were ineffectually attempting to gain any traction with your diatribe - directed at folks you are spectacularly overmatched against - I baked a couple dozen cookies. Would you like one?

I do, however, believe you can still turn this ship around - it's up to you.

MGD

Quick Reply: Shuttering when in 4 wheel drive