Cant Pull Spark Plugs 2011 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant Pull Spark Plugs 2011 Ecoboost

Ok guys I have done some searching and cant find anybody who has asked yet but I went to change my spark plugs today and after removing the coil packs and went to remove the plugs I couldnt get them out. Dont get me wrong I put some muscle into it but I didnt want to break one off so I stopped and yes I was turning them the right way (I checked just to make sure I wasnt loosing my mind). My truck had been sitting for a couple of hours and was still a little warm so I waited until it cooled but that wasnt it. If this isnt a simple issue Im thinking about just taking it in because I would rather pay for someone to put them in rather than pay to have them to remove a broken plug.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt60
Ok guys I have done some searching and cant find anybody who has asked yet but I went to change my spark plugs today and after removing the coil packs and went to remove the plugs I couldnt get them out. Dont get me wrong I put some muscle into it but I didnt want to break one off so I stopped and yes I was turning them the right way (I checked just to make sure I wasnt loosing my mind). My truck had been sitting for a couple of hours and was still a little warm so I waited until it cooled but that wasnt it. If this isnt a simple issue Im thinking about just taking it in because I would rather pay for someone to put them in rather than pay to have them to remove a broken plug.
Is this yer first change on this truck? Second owner? It's possible the previous owner/installer used the incorrect torque (or an impact, lol) to install them.

Would be real difficult to break them - they are a one-piece plug body.

Either use more muscle, or take it in.

Remember - lefty-loosey

good luck
MGD

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time changing and I am the second owner but the truck had 15k when I bought it so it is possible he changed them. Never thought about that!!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt60
First time changing and I am the second owner but the truck had 15k when I bought it so it is possible he changed them. Never thought about that!!
Roger that, bud.

The other possibility is, the factory plug-installing robots were angry that day, lol.

I'd ensure the extraction is done on a cold engine to minimize the risk to those soft head threads.

Best of luck.

MGD

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The factory ones were a little bit right on a few of mine. I found that a quick snap worked best to break them loose. Once they popped loose they came right out. A few squeaked some which will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up but all came out.

Quick Reply: Cant Pull Spark Plugs 2011 Ecoboost