New to Ecoboost, question about acceleration noises (not turbo whine)

Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Ecoboost, question about acceleration noises (not turbo whine)

After 249,019 miles in my ’98 4.6 F-150, on June 18 I pulled the trigger on a ’14 Lariat SuperCrew with Ecoboost. So far, I love it.

However, after about 350 miles I’ve started noticing a new sound. When I accelerate hard from a stop, at half-throttle or more, I hear what sounds like muffled detonation for 1-2 seconds until the RPM’s hit 2500 or so, then it goes away.

There’s obvious turbo lag, but I figured that was normal. I also considered that it might be cheap gas that my dealer put in it. I can’t really tell if there’s power loss to go with the noise since it’s SO much more powerful than my 4.6.

Is this a normal noise for a turbo 6? Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Just to clarify, I'm pretty familiar with detonation (From my '98) and I don't THINK that's what it is.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you post a video with the sound?

P.S. It's not turbo lag you are noticing, it's a delay in the DBW setup that Ford (and pretty much all other OEMs) programs into the ECM. My 2005 with the 5.4L was even worse on the factory tune. A custom tune cleans all of this up. Turbo lag is when you mat the throttle and the engine tries to respond but doesn't have enough power to do much. In the factory EB you mat the throttle and nothing happens at all for a second then it pulls hard. It's a completely different issue but still very annoying.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
P.S. It's not turbo lag you are noticing, it's a delay in the DBW setup that Ford (and pretty much all other OEMs) programs into the ECM. My 2005 with the 5.4L was even worse on the factory tune. A custom tune cleans all of this up. Turbo lag is when you mat the throttle and the engine tries to respond but doesn't have enough power to do much. In the factory EB you mat the throttle and nothing happens at all for a second then it pulls hard. It's a completely different issue but still very annoying.
Very interesting, the throttle delay is definitely what I'm referring to, thanks for the heads-up. I'll see what I can do about a video, but the mic may or may not pick the sound up.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wookie
Can you post a video with the sound?

Yes, the ECM lag is annoying and dangerous. Went to pass a truck-trailer on the freeway and I had limited forward space to do it. I floored it and for 2-4 seconds there was no response, freaked me out. In a closer situation, I could have had a serious problem. Why is that in the program anyway?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Yes, the ECM lag is annoying and dangerous. Went to pass a truck-trailer on the freeway and I had limited forward space to do it. I floored it and for 2-4 seconds there was no response, freaked me out. In a closer situation, I could have had a serious problem. Why is that in the program anyway?
I have never seen a concrete reason why the OEMs choose to do this. I know for a fact it is done by choice and is not a limiting factor based on the DBW hardware as a custom tune eliminates it. I also know it is not a Ford only issue as I have seen it first hand in other cars. I had a Jetta that I could use the throttle as a snare drum. I could stomp on the gas pedal to the floor with the radio and as long as I lifted my foot quickly the RPMs would not budge. I have seen this on Jap cars too so it is not a problem with Bosch engine management either. I know the servo motors are fully capable of moving very fast as DBW is used on the most exotic cars built.

Joe's theory: The DBW throttle assembly not only measures throttle position but also the rate at which it is moving. If you stomp on the pedal the delay is there. However, if you slowly push the pedal to the floor there really isn't a noticeable delay in how the power is delivered, i.e. it's a very linear response. This leads me to believe it is done as a safety precaution. It is almost like there is a limit written into the code that says, if the throttle pedal travels more than x speed wait a second and verify the driver actually wants this throttle setting. If the throttle stays here then give it to him otherwise do nothing. If the pedal travels down slower and more deliberately than the chances of it being an accident are much smaller and therefore the delay isn't imposed.

I have a feeling this isn't going to change at all after the problems toyota had with the DBW and the fines and payouts they had to deal with.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it is a buffer of sorts. But I don't like it. Maybe a tuner will relieve this symptom.

SO WHERE'S THE DAMN TUNER DIABLO?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 AM
I have a 5 Star tune on mine and the delay is gone. When I hit the gas the truck does what I tell it to.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the reasons i went Custom Tunes, well that and more power.. after the tunes as soon as i hit the throttle it goes! No more delays

Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM
I went by the dealer on Saturday and had someone from service drive my truck and listen to it. He said, "yes, I hear it, but they all sound that way".
So, at this point, I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it. I've got 3 more years of warranty if something pops up.
Thanks for the input!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Banned
Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM
so you are just going to SPAM this post on all the threads you can find ecobane?????

Old 07-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
so you are just going to SPAM this post on all the threads you can find ecobane?????
He has been sent a PM telling him he is welcome to choose a thread to discuss his problem, but to please quit trolling with the same post in every EB thread he could find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Ecoboost, question about acceleration noises (not turbo whine)