First oil change for new Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change for new Ecoboost?

I don't see an early oil change for engine break-in in the manual (2014 F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost). Did they do away with recommending an oil change earlier than the normal interval for brand new engines or what? Personally, I'm inclined to do an oil change at the first 1,000 miles for my new truck and then start going with the normal change interval after that.

Does Ford even recommend the early oil change for new engines these days? I thought it was odd that I didn't see anything in the book about it.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM
They don't, but I did an oil change at 1,000 miles too. I don't believe in the "junk left after manufacturing" happens very often. I'm sure someone has, somewhere, so it might be better to call me highly skeptical.

What I do know is that metal contaminants are at their highest during this time from oil analysis (Blackstone is my favorite vendor now). And I did an oil & filter change.

I considered using break-in oil like I have on my aircraft engines, but I decided against it. In a/c, you never use synthetic oil of any kind and you run them at full power at low altitude (at or below 3,500') to ensure ring seating. I'm not confident the average knowledge/expertise level of the person I'd be explaining why I deviated from a synthetic blend they describe in the book - which could lead to a warranty-void decision.

I've done the early oil change practice on every engine I've used in the last 40 years and all of them (from racing engines to my personal auto) have had exceptional service records. My Brand X pickup had 195,000 miles on it when I sold it - it used about 3oz of oil in 4,000 miles and it was completely clear, regardless of the time of year.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by j2014_F150
They don't, but I did an oil change at 1,000 miles too. I don't believe in the "junk left after manufacturing" happens very often. I'm sure someone has, somewhere, so it might be better to call me highly skeptical.

What I do know is that metal contaminants are at their highest during this time from oil analysis (Blackstone is my favorite vendor now). And I did an oil & filter change.

I considered using break-in oil like I have on my aircraft engines, but I decided against it. In a/c, you never use synthetic oil of any kind and you run them at full power at low altitude (at or below 3,500') to ensure ring seating. I'm not confident the average knowledge/expertise level of the person I'd be explaining why I deviated from a synthetic blend they describe in the book - which could lead to a warranty-void decision.

I've done the early oil change practice on every engine I've used in the last 40 years and all of them (from racing engines to my personal auto) have had exceptional service records. My Brand X pickup had 195,000 miles on it when I sold it - it used about 3oz of oil in 4,000 miles and it was completely clear, regardless of the time of year.
Thanks. I planned on using the Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend since the cost is good and it's easy to find.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM
I took my new 5.0 in at just under 3,000 miles for its first oil change. I got looked at sideways by two of the service reps and asked why I was changing it already by one other. I was told I was wasting money by doing one that soon. I've only had two new vehicles, but I've heard plenty of places that it's generally good practice to have the first oil change in the first couple of thousand miles.

My response to the question and remarks was that I didn't know how long it had sat before I bought it off the lot and that $60 or so was well worth it to me. They still didn't get it. Oh, and my first oil change was complimentary, so it was free to me.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got mine changed at 1500 miles.. Now i do every 5-6k

Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am switching over to Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5-30 at the next change. This oil begins life as liquid natural gas and is built up from there. Have been reading LOTS of info on it for around 3 months and have had conversations with a few users. It keeps pistons far cleaner than Mobil 1 and will withstand more short trip driving than other oils over all. I will start doing OCI's at the one year mark. However, I will be sampling the oil during that time. It is dry here in Ca. so I won't have too much problem with moisture. If Labnerd can throw a few comments my way, that would be great.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
I am switching over to Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5-30 at the next change. This oil begins life as liquid natural gas and is built up from there. Have been reading LOTS of info on it for around 3 months and have had conversations with a few users. It keeps pistons far cleaner than Mobil 1 and will withstand more short trip driving than other oils over all. I will start doing OCI's at the one year mark. However, I will be sampling the oil during that time. It is dry here in Ca. so I won't have too much problem with moisture. If Labnerd can throw a few comments my way, that would be great.
If you can find it locally Liqui Moly is a really good oil. When I bought my Audi it had Mobil 1 in it and I ran it for a while. That car has an oil temp gauge and runs BW K03 turbos similar to the EB. Highway driving in the summer it would show oil temps of 215-225* depending on how hot it was outside. I switched to Liqui Moly and my oil temps dropped by a good 15-20 degrees. I'm going to switch my truck over from Caster oil synthetic to Liqui Moly at the next change.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM
I figure an oil change is cheap insurance against future problems... especially if you are changing it yourself.

So go ahead and change it. Don't feel bad!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll install my new Fumoto drain valve when I do my first change. Make life easy :-)

Old 06-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a multi based oil. It's mostly a GTL (gas to liquid) technology that yields a reasonably high VI Gp III base oil. So why would it make a difference? For one, the NOACK (evaporation from high heat) is lower than any other out there. That means for you folks having deposit issues with oil that is cooking off thru the PCV might see that go away. Oil usage should go down if that's an issue for your engine. The volatility is less than the base oils used by Amsoil, if that gives you a clue. The base oil is made right at the source of the gas, Qatar. It yields a very pure base oil. Pennzoil uses an ester to bind the add pack which right now is the best in the business. It has calcium to about 2500ppms. Calcium is a detergent. The formulation also includes proprietary organic additives that are not going to show up in spectroscopy so be careful when examining any reports on it. Because it is an ultra low sulfur oil, the TBN will also show lower than what you might expect in virgin analysis but this oil is for real.

As most of you know, I'm not a fan of synthetics. Most are grossly over hyped and don't deliver the premium results you should get from paying a premium price. The Ultra Platinum may be the oil that convinces me otherwise in regards to direct injected engines. The cleaner the engine the better. The fewer deposits generated the better. Ultra Platinum wins in all of these areas. It's not going to make the design defect of combustion chamber deposits completely go away but it will certainly limit them in regards to deposits from the oil. If I had an EcoBoost, this would be my pick to use in it.

FWIW, you'll start seeing oils marketed as SAPS compliant. That means low sulfated ash, phosphorus, and sulfur. Be extremely cautious as what you put these oils in. They will not work in older flat tappet engines and damage will occur. For a modern OHC or roller engine, no problem.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a multi based oil. It's mostly a GTL (gas to liquid) technology that yields a reasonably high VI Gp III base oil. So why would it make a difference? For one, the NOACK (evaporation from high heat) is lower than any other out there. That means for you folks having deposit issues with oil that is cooking off thru the PCV might see that go away. Oil usage should go down if that's an issue for your engine. The volatility is less than the base oils used by Amsoil, if that gives you a clue. The base oil is made right at the source of the gas, Qatar. It yields a very pure base oil. Pennzoil uses an ester to bind the add pack which right now is the best in the business. It has calcium to about 2500ppms. Calcium is a detergent. The formulation also includes proprietary organic additives that are not going to show up in spectroscopy so be careful when examining any reports on it. Because it is an ultra low sulfur oil, the TBN will also show lower than what you might expect in virgin analysis but this oil is for real.

As most of you know, I'm not a fan of synthetics. Most are grossly over hyped and don't deliver the premium results you should get from paying a premium price. The Ultra Platinum may be the oil that convinces me otherwise in regards to direct injected engines. The cleaner the engine the better. The fewer deposits generated the better. Ultra Platinum wins in all of these areas. It's not going to make the design defect of combustion chamber deposits completely go away but it will certainly limit them in regards to deposits from the oil. If I had an EcoBoost, this would be my pick to use in it.

FWIW, you'll start seeing oils marketed as SAPS compliant. That means low sulfated ash, phosphorus, and sulfur. Be extremely cautious as what you put these oils in. They will not work in older flat tappet engines and damage will occur. For a modern OHC or roller engine, no problem.
You ever check out the 'Motorkote' product? There's a trucking show on overnight Mon-Fri and many of the truckers swear by it to reduce friction/heat in their engines, etc...and gain MPG by using it. The manufacturer is on the show several times a year taking questions from the drivers. Just curious about your thoughts on that product if you've seen it. They claim it's not an additive and doesn't mix with the oil....just uses the oil as a carrier. And you don't leave out oil to use this....you add your normal amount of oil and then 2 ounces per quart of the Motorkote at the same time. They suggest using it only once every 4th oil change since it lasts for awhile.

Here's the guy talking about the product:

Last edited by lariatf150; 06-27-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Yea, saw that on UTube. Not a fan of the "quick test demos".

Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
If you can find it locally Liqui Moly is a really good oil. When I bought my Audi it had Mobil 1 in it and I ran it for a while. That car has an oil temp gauge and runs BW K03 turbos similar to the EB. Highway driving in the summer it would show oil temps of 215-225* depending on how hot it was outside. I switched to Liqui Moly and my oil temps dropped by a good 15-20 degrees. I'm going to switch my truck over from Caster oil synthetic to Liqui Moly at the next change.
I am already using the Liqui-Moly additive..........Sure makes the engine more quiet.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a multi based oil. It's mostly a GTL (gas to liquid) technology that yields a reasonably high VI Gp III base oil. So why would it make a difference? For one, the NOACK (evaporation from high heat) is lower than any other out there. That means for you folks having deposit issues with oil that is cooking off thru the PCV might see that go away. Oil usage should go down if that's an issue for your engine. The volatility is less than the base oils used by Amsoil, if that gives you a clue. The base oil is made right at the source of the gas, Qatar. It yields a very pure base oil. Pennzoil uses an ester to bind the add pack which right now is the best in the business. It has calcium to about 2500ppms. Calcium is a detergent. The formulation also includes proprietary organic additives that are not going to show up in spectroscopy so be careful when examining any reports on it. Because it is an ultra low sulfur oil, the TBN will also show lower than what you might expect in virgin analysis but this oil is for re

Glad to hear.....I did a lot of reading before I ordered it.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Motorkote. Gotta love a clown that wants to demo LUBRICITY with a Timken Bearing Extreme Pressure test unit. That's kinda like using a thermometer to tell how fast yer truck is going. Motorkote is owned by Great Brands....who also owns Duralube. This is one of the scam companies that makes broad claims to milk the unknowing from their money. Wanna screw up yer engine? Here's the product to do it with. From Wearcheck Canada, who did extensive testing of it for a client who lost a diesel engine that made the results public, it is 283,700ppms CHLORINE. That's 28.4% in volume, chlorine. As we've chatted here before, chlorine does not belong in any crankcase unless you just like corrosion. Combined with combustion gases you'll get a healthy dose of hydrochloric acid. This is another one of those companies that will make absurd claims and when the going gets tough in the legal dept, they'll just change the name on the bottle again and keep screwing folks out of their hard earned money. So in short, this is in the running for The Snake Oil Award.

Forgot to mention, Liqui-moly. You understand that it's molydenum disufide, right? That's a crystalline dry lubricant and has no place in an engine. Liqui-moly are crystals ground to 3 microns averagely. It doesn't take long and this stuff is in the oil filter, not in the oil. It is not the same as the moly used in most oil formulations. That would be molydenum dialkldthiocarbamate which is a clear liquid.

Last edited by Labnerd; 06-27-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: First oil change for new Ecoboost?