Realistic comparison of 3.7 mileage vs 5.0 mileage in F150's

Old 06-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistic comparison of 3.7 mileage vs 5.0 mileage in F150's

Can any one point me in the direction of reliable information on real world mileage comparison of the 3.7 and 5.0 engines?

I have searched and found none except, my engine can get x miles more than yours, I am not looking for this type of response.

we are looking at changing several or adding some new F150's whether stock 2014's or the new 2015's, yes I know the 2015's are not out but a good comparison with show the future difference of the 2015 to earlier models.

I am aware of differences in location, truck size, weight, driving habits, ect.

yea I know what the door stickers show, but what is really happening with the 3.7.

All of our trucks have the 4.6 and we a variance of mileage, but we see a pattern between drivers.

thank you

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The mileage should be fairly similar between a current 3.7 and 5.0, with the 3.7 possibly having a slight edge. If you are looking for the highest mileage you can get, wait for the 2015 (700 pounds lighter) and look at the 2.7 Ecoboost. For 2015, the 3.7 is being replaced with a NA 3.5.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC , thanks for the reply here and on the V8 thread, we feel that there is little difference depending on how a truck is configurered.

we did not find any real conclusions looking.

we are looking at some trucks on a couple of lots, we normally order, but usually try not to get any newly redone trucks. We have looked at the 3.7 and 5.0's sitting on some lots, they look promising.

My 4.6 is one we are looking at selling, we figurered valve stem seals. We hate to do partial rebuilds as we have only semed to have problems afterward. Our mechanic will do if we ask, but is it worth the expense.

it may be less troublesome to replace.

thank you for your imput

Last edited by jrp22554; 06-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Might have been helpful if you stated the year model and mileage of the unit(s) you want to replace. The 4.6 2V engine is about as bulletproof of an engine as you'll ever buy. It virtually lived on the Wards Ten Best Engines list. I'm not a fan of the 3 valve 4.6 but there seems to be fewer issues with the cam phasers on those versus the 5.4 3v. If you look at Fords engine line up for YM 2015, you won't find the 3.7. It was a stop gap offering that Ford used to buy time on the development of the smaller 2.7 EB engine. While it's had a decent introduction, it's not a work horse. So the application is important. If just driving around town with little load, it'll do. If it requires a trailer on the bumper most of the time or carrying a decent to heavy load, it's not the engine for you. If you have new truckitus, I'd suggest the 5.0. Otherwise, if the engine(s) are the 4.6 2 Valve engines, I'd rebuild the entire engine and never just the top end. Like you've already experienced, you'll learn to hate it from other breakdowns. FWIW, I drive a 4.6 2V engine in a Supercrew. I'm not a fan of any of the current engine offerings. Far too much technology that I'm going to have to maintain as it gathers miles. The 4.6 2V engine is straight forward and not a lot of technology to keep it running. That means it's going to cost less over the years to run. When mine comes due, it'll see a complete rebuild. Properly maintained, a 4.6 2v engine will easily deliver 250,000 miles. Some will go much, much farther.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Realistic comparison of 3.7 mileage vs 5.0 mileage in F150's