new to ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to ecoboost

So I just bought a used 2012 FX4 with the ecoboost and I was all excited about it then after getting back on here not so much. I see thread after thread about them being junk and blowing up. Am I screwed with this engine? Feeling very deflated now after so much excitement about being back in a F150.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You have it, so just drive it expecting no problems. I have two friends, one with a 2012 and one with a 2013 and they have had no problems. They put lots of miles on them, just don't get the mpg they expected. You may want to change the plugs at about 40,000 making sure they are gapped correctly. Many came from the factory with incorrect gapping.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Great my 04 had the infamous spark plug problem too all though a different type. So is this a simple pull the plug wire of and change plugs or is this pull coilpacks etc... Is there any write ups to it if so? Mine has 40,000 on it so now I'm thinking might change them.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by jjntj2003
So I just bought a used 2012 FX4 with the ecoboost and I was all excited about it then after getting back on here not so much. I see thread after thread about them being junk and blowing up. Am I screwed with this engine? Feeling very deflated now after so much excitement about being back in a F150.
There are hundreds of thousands of these engines running in F150s. We're dealing with something that is mass produced and operated by people, or both. There will be some that blow up, either by some kind of part failure, or by an operator failure of some kind. I have always felt that engine break-in practices are critical to an engine's long term performance and we don't know how that was done.

About half of the posts about the ecoboost complain that the gas mileage doesn't meet the EPA number when the truck is driven at 70 mph down the freeway or while towing a trailer. Not understanding the driving protocol for the EPA mileage number is recorded doesn't appear to matter.

The good thing about this forum is you can connect with Ford Service directly via Ashley and get insights from some very knowledgeable people. The downside is any issue is very visible.

I only have 5000 miles on my eco, but everything is good so far here.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take off the tutu and tiara and quit being a little drama queen. There are a ton of these trucks on the road and a small handful have had problems. This is to be expected with any mass produced product.

Changing the plugs on the EB is about as easy as it gets. Expect 30-45 minutes if you're taking your time and drinking a beer. If it takes much longer than that you should box up your tools and donate them to a high school shop class. There are several write UPS on here about doing it.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM
if you've really read all the threads like you said, then you should have seen this one...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...-ecoboost.html

The vast majority of owners like their ecoboosts.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just drive it.....You'll like it. Mine has had zero problems...14,000 miles.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My EB just rolled 30k, and only issue is a bad coil, which isn't really an ecoboost problem specifically.

There's always bad apples when it comes to mass production, the interwebs makes it sound worse, but in reality the failure rate on these engines is very low.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
I've got 27,000 on my 2012 Ecoboost and I've only been in for the Intercooler TSB which was fixed in less than a day. My only other trips to the dealer have been for oil changes and tire rotations.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM
I'll give my advice as well. These forums are just like the photography (camera gear) forums I take part in. Photography is a hobby of mine. The exact same thing happens over there in those forums. A known problem comes up that affects a certain number of devices and suddenly, the sky is falling and the company is nearly ready to go bankrupt due to all the warranty claims for the 'bad product'. Or so the 'internet' would have you believe. People get worked up about problems they don't have and may never have. I think it's definitely wise to be aware of the things other owners have experienced and I do take notice of these problems related to the misfires and potential carbon buildup on valves. But...I'm not going to worry myself to death over those things because for one, I have a late built 2014 and two, Ford has sold over 500,000 F150's with EcoBoost engines. If it was such a huge problem, don't you think Ford would have scrapped the idea of EcoBoost in the next gen truck?

I'm sure there ARE quite a few problems out there that people have experienced, but maybe no more so than any other new car/truck...or not an unusually high amount more for a direct injected twin turbo engine.

My opinion is, unless you do happen to be the unfortunate one that does have a truck with some problems that were created due to some early Ford errors, you'll likely never experience any big problems. That's assuming that you're not the type that beats the hell out of your truck and then complains when it's broke. I had friends all my life that would have much nicer cars than me but they'd go beat them to death and ruin them quickly. I just traded in my old 2004 and it looked nearly new inside and that's with the light tan interior with light tan seats. Some on here in the past had claimed those seats don't hold up. Well, maybe it didn't for them because they don't treat it well? Probably. Not everyone buys a truck to treat it gently like I do...I know that. But all I'm saying is, treat it well and don't worry about it. Hopefully you'll have a good one.

Last edited by lariatf150; 06-30-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 AM
I had a 2011 Ecoboost XLT put 86,456 miles only problem was plug gap life time mpg 20.1. I now have a 2013 FX4 EcoBoost have 20,345 miles no problem life time mpg 19.2 really like the Eco.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I have a 2011 ecoboost with 45k miles on it. The only things I've had to have fixed were non-ecoboost related. The short list of problems is seat rail, drive shaft clunk, and a Sync issue.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM
I've had to replace the steering gear (advance-trac light coming on), blower controller (heat and AC not working) and Rear sliding window (side view mirror defoggers not working).

Other than that the truck has been good.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:07 AM
This is a forum. You cant expect to sit here all day and just praise something, forums usually only point out negative things. This is one reason why I am not as active as I used to be. Boards will eventually make you feel as if something is wrong or bound to go wrong with your car or engine when in fact it most likely wont.

I have 27k miles and not one single issue other than it running great. You will be fine, Ford isn't stupid.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 PM
i just bought a Ecoboost 2014 XLT four door 4x4 with 33:1 rear-end ...and love it !!..1 thing is the flat spots on my tires ...2nd vehicle i got from earnhardt ford with bad tires!!..told me to dive it 500 miles....ill be getting new tires for free!

Last edited by pah150955; 10-07-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: new to ecoboost