4.2 dipstick reading question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4.2 dipstick reading question

I've seen a few post about this, but can't seem to figure what's right and what's wrong. Bought the truck new and for the first few years I never once checked the dipstick. I'd change the oil myself every 3k and knew it wasn't leaking or burning.

Now, I check the dipstick every once and a while. I do not have any leaks, nor does it burn any.

When I add 6 quarts, it shows 3/4 to the max or full dot (second dot up from the bottom). No matter what, it shows that way 0 miles or 3000 miles after the oil change. I was topping it off with about half a quart for a bit but have since stopped because I know there are six quarts in there.

Who else has this issue? Do you fill it to the full mark, or just put in 6 quarts whereever that may read on the dipstick?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
6 quarts on mine puts it slightly less than halfway up the hashmarks. I run it till it gets below the ADD line, then add a quart. That takes about 3000 miles, then when it drops to the ADD mark again, it's time for an oil change. That gives me about 10k and I use full synthetic and a premium filter.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is no need to 'top off' your oil to the top of the hash marks.. That is the MAX level and if 6 qts puts you in the middle of the mark, that's your "full" level.. Try filling it up with just 5 qts and see where it lands on the stick.. That's your "1 qt add mark" and if you get to that level, add a qt and enjoy life..

The main thing is to just check the stick every now and then and not let it get below 1 qt low..

Mitch

Quick Reply: 4.2 dipstick reading question