No power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power while driving

I have a 2013 f150 fx4 w/ ecoboost max tow package, so 3.73 gears. Anyway I bought it new in jan of 13 have put 22000 miles on it and about 10000 miles pulling 27' enclosed trailer with very little effort. Anyhow came back from a trip pulling this trailer and and started acting real goofy, I no longer can pull the trailer in 6th gear. I set the cruise at 70 mph on interstate and it used to never shift, now in auto it will not come out of 4th gear at 3700 rpm. if I manually shift to 6th and I hold it to the floor and it will not hold speed. I constantly hear it dumping while accelerating, and will go from 6th gear down to 3rd gear if you moderately stepping while cruising. It has been at the dealer now for 5 weeks and no solution, the first time was two cylinders were misfiring, so they changed plugs, still acting the same way. It is worst under load, but still on normal driving it shifts a lot with no trailer, it never shifted before. Also tranny temp while normal driving for about 10 miles around time got up to 207 degrees. My dealer has been hooking up all the computers and say that nothing is out of range. I took off intake tubes and inspected fins on turbo with a borascope and seem fine. I need any help possible because this is frustrating. I had 21000 flawless miles now no solution. It is not just once in a while but all the time while driving.
Thanks for any info you can give me. I hope I explained enough if not feel free to get anymore details and I will try to fill you in more.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Have they checked the compression? Is it losing any coolant or oil?

Just guessing here, but the possibilities that occur to me are a cracked or broken valve or valves, bad ring in one or more cylinder, or a clogged exhaust system.

Or maybe its something simple like a really bad tank of gas (watered down).

Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM
They have not checked compression, it is not using any coolant or oil. they said the the exhaust checks out ok, I am not a certified mechanic, but have lots of experience with our mack trucks and excavators with turbo issues, but all the electronics really make it hard. From a dead stop it seems to have decent power but once you are rolling and step on it, it is a big tird. I will be at about 60mph in 6th gear and step on it to pass someone and it will drop down to 2nd or 3rd to get power. They don't know what to take apart because their computer doesn't kick any codes or out of range readings. They said they have reflashed everything and no change. Also my mileage has been absolutely horrible, 10mpg in town and lucky to get 14 on hwy and it is warming up here in Minnesota. The truck in tow haul mode is even worse. Feels it really revs up to high rpms before it makes any power. I have asked to have turbos checked but their computers say they are fine, same with exhaust, I asked them to swap with a new one and they say it checks out fine. I am beyond frustrated. could it be malfunctioning waste gates? I need to find something soon as I need to use this truck. I have also contacted ford customer support and that seems to have gotten me no where. As much info or advice would be great

Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
I'd push harder on Ford customer support. Everything points to you not making power and I'd make them do the equivalent of a dyno run to document your engine's performance.

Since you're not blowing blue smoke, and the engine is running smoothly, I'm wondering how much boost you're pulling? But, this is more out of curiosity and I'm not a Ford mechanic, hence my suggestion to go with Ford Service.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM
I am really going to push that this week for sure, would like to get a rep to ride with me to show them how bad it really is, it really stinks when my 4.6L can out pull my ecoboost.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know what I should be running for boost. Just seems odd for the thing to be dumping when I accelerate. Will see what happens this week.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Send a PM to member "FordService". That's Ashley, our forum rep. Your dealer doesn't know their *** from a hole in the ground. There's a lot more to troubleshooting a crappy running engine than hooking up a computer.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
just another question after I went out to drive it again tonight with no trailer. I drove about 6 miles and tranny temp was up to about 215 degrees. Is there anyway that the torque converter in tranny could be messing up everything. I was cruising in 6th gear at 60mph and stepped on it like passing a car and it downshifted all the way down to 2nd gear, and anytime with trailer or not tow haul or not this truck shifts down 3 to 4 gears when you hit it hard at any speed. Just more info for you guys.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM
I wish I could help, I'm interested to hear the final outcome. It does sound to me like the service dept. should be doing more to help you out though.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 PM
This truck never had a problem pulling my trailer or normal driving with the max tow package this thing never shifted. Now it really revs up a lot and shifts a lot. I took off the intake tubes and inspected the turbo fins and they look fine, and spin freely. I don't want to dig to far as I don't think it is my duty to figure it out but I need a truck cause not having a truck for 5 weeks is making me very angry. When can I start the lemon law thing. The dealer wont even start pulling things and replacing to get somewhere. We will see what happens this week.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Lemon laws differ by state.

Again - PM the rep as I posted.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Im leaning towards the Transmission. Especially with the temps you are seeing.. Ive pulled almost 7,000 lbs in 90 degree weather at 65 to 70mph and never saw anything over 204.. If your seeing 215 running empty that to me is a problem

Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly the torque converter is locked up, if it is, the trans would downshift to lower gears to compensate for the converter vanes not functioning..........

Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM
I was thinking it may have something to do with that, I am bringing it in today again and will push them that way. Thanks so much for all the help. I will keep posting as we go.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fx4sled
I have a 2013 f150 fx4 w/ ecoboost max tow package, so 3.73 gears. Anyway I bought it new in jan of 13 have put 22000 miles on it and about 10000 miles pulling 27' enclosed trailer with very little effort. Anyhow came back from a trip pulling this trailer and and started acting real goofy, I no longer can pull the trailer in 6th gear. ...
I got your PM and replied, fx4sled!

Originally Posted by glc
Send a PM to member "FordService". That's Ashley, our forum rep. ...
Thanks for sending people my way, glc!

Ashley

Quick Reply: No power while driving