04 heritage 4.2 5 speed. Many Problems

Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 heritage 4.2 5 speed. Many Problems

Hey Guys!
I'm new here and really hoping y'all can help me out. I have a 04 F150 heritage. The truck has been pretty much trouble free until now. I put a new clutch in December ever since then it's been developing new problems. After 300 miles of installing clutch. Speedometer/odometer not working. The truck has begin to hesitate during acceleration. I tuned it up with Motorcraft plugs, wires, and coil pack. No change. It doesn't do it all the time but most often does. A few weeks later I didn't have heat. Checked fuses. Number 5 fuse blown. Replace fuse. Shifted to reverse the fuse blew. Ok no problem I thought. Unplugged reverse light switch. Everything worked alright for a few days. Now blows number 5 fuse every other day or so. One night and one night only I notice the blower motor stayed on after I turned the truck off. That very same night air bag light would come on and go off. Beeping sound under dash also. I could hear relays under dash click when I would shut the truck off. But hasn't done any of that in while now. Just still continues to hesitate and the fuse keeps blowing. I've read about the GEM modules going bad but I hate to take a $300.00 guess at it!! Please Help!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
From your symptoms, then yes, it is the GEM Module.

Have your windshield checked for leaks too.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM
your truck might be too new for this but i have ran into problems with the brake fluid level switch. if its the one on the end of the master and leaking it will cause all sorts of gem module issues. the old ones would cause fires sometimes. look at the connecter and if it's wet unplug it and see if your problems go away. im not trying to do a bunch of research for you but maybe you can give me a reply back to let me know how its going. gems are an expensive guess.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM
i think manual f150 is on the right track but your name relates to old f150 and question was about an 04. which is it? also what part of the country do you live in?

Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
That wasn't the brake fluid level switch that leaked and caused fires, it was the cruise control disconnect switch, and it was a subject of a huge recall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 heritage 4.2 5 speed. Many Problems