Power steering type whine Ecoboost Engine

Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 noise

Thanks for the posts and follow up. I have a 2013 with eco boost and have the exact same problem. I have had it to the dealer several times with no resolution. I will mention this to them and have it checked out. I love the truck but the noise is driving me crazy. Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by milldb
Thanks for the posts and follow up. I have a 2013 with eco boost and have the exact same problem. I have had it to the dealer several times with no resolution. I will mention this to them and have it checked out. I love the truck but the noise is driving me crazy. Thanks again.
Welcome to the forum, milldb; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll look into some ways to help out with this.

Crystal

Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM
2013 noise

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, milldb; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll look into some ways to help out with this.

Crystal
The truck currently has @16000 miles but has had the noise since I drove it off the lot new. 2013 F150 King Ranch Super Crew 4x4

Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The truck currently has @16000 miles but has had the noise since I drove it off the lot new. 2013 F150 King Ranch Super Crew 4x4
So - it did this on yer test drive and you still bought it?

Outstanding ....

BlackSheepBubba out

Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks for replying, milldb. Reach out to me via private message (PM); I'll research some options to assist. When writing, be sure sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 11-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MGDfan
So - it did this on yer test drive and you still bought it?

Outstanding ....

BlackSheepBubba out
close to it. test drive was fine. stopped for dinner on the way home from buying it and as soon as I put it in gear to leave the restaurant it happened for the first time. it is intermittent but happens at least once every time I drive it.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Same noise not alternator

Originally Posted by Jcburnley
So it was the alternator correct? I am taking mine in next week and want to know what to tell them. Thanks
The noise I heard is similar in nature. I can hear it all the time. Took to dealer 3 times and tried a different dealer once. When noise was happening put truck in neutral and shut off engine and noise is still there. Switched to 4x4 high and noise subsides slightly. This to me indicates u joint or transfer case output shaft. Dealer service techs taken for ride and also mechanics and they can't hear it. I can hear it all the time now and I am at point of trading it in for something else from a competitive brand. The mechanics at both shops don't wear hearing protection and these shops are loud and I suspect their hearing is not as sensitive as mine. I know the truck after 25k plus miles. If it made this noise when I bought new I would have passed to another brand.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Rickop
The noise I heard is similar in nature. I can hear it all the time. Took to dealer 3 times and tried a different dealer once. When noise was happening put truck in neutral and shut off engine and noise is still there. Switched to 4x4 high and noise subsides slightly. This to me indicates u joint or transfer case output shaft. Dealer service techs taken for ride and also mechanics and they can't hear it. I can hear it all the time now and I am at point of trading it in for something else from a competitive brand. The mechanics at both shops don't wear hearing protection and these shops are loud and I suspect their hearing is not as sensitive as mine. I know the truck after 25k plus miles. If it made this noise when I bought new I would have passed to another brand.
When you say you shifted to neutral and shut the engine down were you moving or stopped? The reason I ask is the ecoboost turbo's I believe have electric pumps that circulate coolant, and possibly oil after shut down for a period of time.

If you are moving I would say definitely drive train related. Try this. See if the noise is there under acceleration, and then foot off the gas de-cel. If the noise is unchanged then to can at least cross off the rear crown and pinion.

M

Old 04-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Rickop
The noise I heard is similar in nature...
Welcome to the forum, Rickop; let's see what I can do to help. Which model year is your truck?

Crystal

Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Noisy F150

2013 f150 Lariat 4x4

Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Talking whining noise fixed

After several trips to the dealer they fixed mine. There is a service bulletin for replacing the plate and seal in the transmission. Mine was replaced over a week ago and has worked great ever since. I have even seen a slight increase in fuel economy and performance.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 PM
2013 xlt 5.0 4x4

my 2013 f150 xlt 4x4 with 5.0 has a power steering type noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine compartment, I pulled the idler pulley and that seems fine. I have just about 60,000 on it and it just started. the noise gets louder with the throttle however can not hear it at hwy speeds. Dealer thinks its a pulley, if not the idler maybe alt? how do I know which one I have? the dealer said I have the cheaper one and said it was $419 but on fords own site it says the $419 one is for heated seats and my truck does not have heated seats which I told them. The site says $290 for the one without the seats and converter. I am just wondering if I am better off getting off a low mileage salvage vehicle or pay the dealer 200-300- to look at it then stick me with another 600 to install?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Same problem here but I do not have turbochargers.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Originally Posted by c3nunley
Same problem here but I do not have turbochargers.
What year is your truck and what engine does it have? This thread concerns an Ecoboost which has turbos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering type whine Ecoboost Engine