Turbo Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Noise

Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of a new 13' EcoBoost powered crew cab 4x4. While I love the truck thus far but I have to admit, it's so quiet I feel like I just bought a Taurus Wagon. Yes, it's a very relaxing truck to drive but I'd like to hear those little turbos whistle. Is there anything I can do to get more turbo noise without voiding my warranty?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm going thru the same thing with mine! I came from a 1997 F150 with the 5.4 and I'm really missing that "V8 Rumble" for sure!

I like it that when you turn the key, you just let it go and don't 'wait' for it to actually fire up... Because I can't hear the darn thing!

I've been contemplating a new muffler or a cat back system, but with it still being a V6, it's not ever goting to get that "V8 Rumble" I know that..

Right now, I'm still in the "giddy" stage of owning the new truck.. Heck, I put on over 300 miles on it in just one week!

I've not gotten hard on it yet either, but what I've done, I can certainly 'feel' when the turbos kick in!

I'm going to leave mine completely stock for at least this first year.. I want to get a good baseline when I start towing my #5000 TT and at most, my only change will be in the exhaust..

Mitch

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford did a really good job of hiding the turbo noise on these trucks. There is an underbody shield that can be removed that helps the sound get through a little bit at low speed. The shield is there to absorb sound and smooth out the aeros under the truck a little bit.

Aftermarket exhausts are a hit or miss. One of the best sounding ones are the Raptor take offs. They are 3" mandrel bent stainless and sound really good on the EB. The front flange will need to be changed to make it bolt up otherwise it's a straight drop in and can be had for cheap if you find one. Full Race makes a really nice one too.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put an AFE Cold air intake on it. All I hear is spooling now. And of course, you can open up the factory blow off valves so you hear a big "whooossshhhh" when you let off the accelerator.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Roll down the 2 front winders and you should be able to hear em fine! If its not enough then time for some custom tunes.. I have 5 star tunes and with the extra boost the tune puts out, the turbos sound pretty good!

When i first got my truck i drove it for a month before cruising with the windows down, i finally rolled them down and first thought i had a vacuum leak.. Turns out it was the turbo's

Quick Reply: Turbo Noise