Ecoboost Horror

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ecoboost Horror

I bought a brand new 2012 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 with the Ecoboost engine in Sept of 2012. I LOVE that truck.....EXCEPT it has been the most horrible experience of ever owning a vehicle in my life! I have owned both new and used autos. My last truck was a 99 5.4L F150 and I loved it. Really never had a problem with that except the coil packs going out, but that is expected. This 2012 has run bad pretty much since day 1. I don't know if it is because I am female or that they think they can get away with making you come back tot he service department every month because my truck is making a weird noise or doing something its not supposed to be doing.

1. It was blowing black smoke when started & idling rough
fix: said it was a computer problem(yeah right)
2. the engine lost all power when accelerating no lights came on
fix: updated the computer and everything looked fine
3. the check engine light comes on
fix: the intercooler needed to be replaced because the part was redesigned
4. Idling rough, sync not working properly, still blowing black smoke
fix: ANOTHER computer issue....update, replaced all spark plugs and some other crap...
5. Idling terrible, blowing black smoke and transmission making horrible sound in low gear but only did it 2 times
fix......NEEDS NEW TURBO, NEEDS 2ND INTERCOOLER, NEEDS A NEW GEAR SHIFT MODULE and was supposed to pick it up today but I get a phone call....looks like there is a TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK.....SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!
So now they are putting dye in it and going to see where the leak is coming from. I do very light hauling RARELY...Its my daily driver, I get the oil changed I put premium gas in it I don't tear it up...I don't understand what I am doing wrong. It had like 7500 miles on it the first time I called about it and the miles to date is 33,000!
I LOVE my truck but I am way beyond frustrated with this whole thing!!! I still have faith but now I'm afraid more things are going to go downhill from here!!!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap that's a lot of things wrong with it

If you brought it in for the same thing three times and it was caused by the same thing "computer issues" than you can use the lemon law if you want to go that route and spend some time on it

Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
I'll second that one

Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Ditch it!! The dealer sounds like they're incompetent and just making excuses for things they have no idea about.

I liked the sound of the TT engine when they came out. Father in law bought a lariat 5.0 last year. When I asked why he didn't pick the EB up he said "its new and unproven in a pickup".

Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Holy crap that's a lot of things wrong with it

If you brought it in for the same thing three times and it was caused by the same thing "computer issues" than you can use the lemon law if you want to go that route and spend some time on it
I have talked with a few people about the Lemon Law. It is an option. But the thing is that it really was never a computer problem...they just didn't know what the heck was wrong with it...

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM
So is this supposed to be funny or insulting? Or both?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Lemon law it. If your dealer can't figure it out it's time to get rid of it while you can.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ohio_Huntress
So is this supposed to be funny or insulting? Or both?
Mostly nothing against you, but one of these threads pops up at least once a week with someone joining to share their bad luck with an ecoboost, and shortly there after the war between 5.0 and ecoboost owners starts. every. single. time.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Black smoke is normal with the ecoboost or almost any turbo charged engine. Mine does it and im at 17000 miles.

The intercooler is a problem with the 11 and 12's.

Sync is not a problem with just a ecoboost

Transmission is not a ecoboost fault as its the same tranny as in the 5.0 and 6.2.

The shaking at idle is more than likely the spark plug gap even if they changed the plugs they may not have gapped them to spec

Eco owners correct me if im wrong but isnt the ford dealership suppose to replace the drivers side cat if problems persist after intercooler?

Can you take it to another dealer?

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-12-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ohio_Huntress
5. Idling terrible, blowing black smoke and transmission making horrible sound in low gear but only did it 2 times
fix......NEEDS NEW TURBO, NEEDS 2ND INTERCOOLER, NEEDS A NEW GEAR SHIFT MODULE and was supposed to pick it up today but I get a phone call....looks like there is a TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK.....SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, on this.. I dont see where the bad idle blowing smoke and transmission sound turns into turbos,gear shift module for a fix.

I still say it needs a new cat with the tsb of the intercooler, The sound in low gears sounds like a torque converter which seems to be somewhat common on these trucks. (have seen a few posts here with members having to replace)

I really think you have a crap dealer that is just throwing parts at the truck.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Im not 100 percent sure this is the latest TSB but maybe this will help. Possibly print this out and take to the dealership?

FORD:
2011-2012 F-150

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles built on or before 5/24/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost engine exhibit a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and drivability concerns.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:

Intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds being more noticeable during humid or damp conditions.
Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.
Powertrain control module (PCM) Misfire DTC P030x.
PCM DTC P0430 and/or P0299.

NOTE:INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.

Check for DTC P0430. Is DTC P0430 present?
Yes - Replace the left bank catalytic converter assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.
No - Proceed to Step 2.
Is the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) equipped with an air deflector plate? (Figure 1A)

Click the image to open in full size.
Figure 1 - Article 12-6-4
Yes - Proceed to Step 4.
No - Proceed to Step 3.
Install CAC air deflector plate with two new push pins. (Figure 1B) Proceed to step 4.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.02A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
NOTE:PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

PART NUMBERPART NAMEBL3Z-5E212-ECatalytic Converter AssemblyW520514-S440Nuts (2 Req)CL3Z-19E672-ADeflector PlateW711281-S300Push Pin (2 Req)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120604A2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Install CAC Air Deflector Plate if Necessary And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)0.5 Hr.120604B2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Replace The Left Catalytic Converter, Install CAC Air Deflector Plate if Necessary And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.0 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE5E212 (OPERATION B)126K775 (OPERATION A)42
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Mostly nothing against you, but one of these threads pops up at least once a week with someone joining to share their bad luck with an ecoboost, and shortly there after the war between 5.0 and ecoboost owners starts. every. single. time.
Nothing at all towards you Ohio just the argument (5.0 v eco) that usually ensues and is pretty entertaining

Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM
im actually very surprised it hasnt started here. glad, but surprised

Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck OP but have you been taking it back to the same dealership every time? I suspect you have been and the same tech has been working on it every time. Look at your ticket and see if the same tech ID number is on all of them. If I was in your shoes I would take it to another dealership and have a fresh set of eyes look at it or if you can't do that INSIST that a different tech work on it. These trucks really aren't that complicated but they are different than the FoMoCo engines of the past so the tech might not be up to snuff on the in and outs of the EB. The other option is he sucks at working on cars but hasn't screwed up anything bad enough to be fired. Any way you cut it I would not want them working on my truck anymore since they are just throwing parts at it hoping to change out the right one.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Horror