3.5 Ecoboost sets New top speed record at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3.5 Ecoboost sets New top speed record at Daytona

223 mph using a ecoboost f150 engine. End of the video said they were using the original block and heads from a factory ecoboost.

http://inhabitat.com/ford-breaks-day...oboost-engine/

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rd-222-971-mph

Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a great feat but if you took the restrictor plate off of any NASCAR racing car it would easily be beaten or by any other type of Indy car . Back in 1987 Bill Elliot set the record in a T-Bird at 210.364 MPH in a car that was an aerodynamic brick. Today's cars would easily crush his record running with no restrictor plate!

Last edited by risupercrewman; 12-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Kinda of a joke really. The Sprint cars are limited by the restrictor plate which is basically giving the engine 390 CFMs to make its HP numbers and RPMS. The EB without any boost using a 70mm throttle body handles 787 cfms and then you can add the stock (which this engine wasn't) 12 lbs boost. Take away the slick car design and put it in a Sprint car and watch the old FR9 engines blow it's doors off with no plates.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That Ecoboost engine was only stock as far as the block & heads so they say. Lol Anything else in no way was "Stock" . Lol

Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another video about this project. The real benefit for us consumers is Ford Production engineers are working together with Ford Racing and Roush/Yates on developing the race motor and applying this back to production design. I have a hard time seeing this as a bad thing.

From the other pictures and news stories I have seen floating around the web about the race car the long block is a production unit with most of the changes being to the air delivery system. Obviously getting air into a mid-engine race car is going to be a lot different than into a truck engine. The race car uses carbon fiber plenums and charge pipes as well as a split intercooler design. I can't tell if the stock K03s are still being used or if they have been switched to something larger like a pair of K04s.

I like that Ford is using modern production engines in racing applications as advances made here will trickle back to the showroom floor. Talking about which NASCAR engine would make more power is just about useless. The closest production engine to this stopped being sold nearly 20 years ago. What good comes from pushing this platform any further?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Here's another video about this project. The real benefit for us consumers is Ford Production engineers are working together with Ford Racing and Roush/Yates on developing the race motor and applying this back to production design. I have a hard time seeing this as a bad thing.

Link

From the other pictures and news stories I have seen floating around the web about the race car the long block is a production unit with most of the changes being to the air delivery system. Obviously getting air into a mid-engine race car is going to be a lot different than into a truck engine. The race car uses carbon fiber plenums and charge pipes as well as a split intercooler design. I can't tell if the stock K03s are still being used or if they have been switched to something larger like a pair of K04s.

I like that Ford is using modern production engines in racing applications as advances made here will trickle back to the showroom floor. Talking about which NASCAR engine would make more power is just about useless. The closest production engine to this stopped being sold nearly 20 years ago. What good comes from pushing this platform any further?
I agree, great to see them using an engine where technology, stuff learned can be incorporated in a production engine.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Comparing the ecoboost to a Sprint car engine is useless. The Sprint car engine only has to last for the length of time to qualify and run one race. They are up to around 900hp now.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
223 mph using a ecoboost f150 engine. End of the video said they were using the original block and heads from a factory ecoboost.

http://inhabitat.com/ford-breaks-day...oboost-engine/

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rd-222-971-mph

King of Speed: 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Has Record-Setting Day in Daytona - YouTube
Theyre not the same block and heads. Theyre not even remotely the same.

Lets put it this way, saying the motor in that car and a production 3.5 is the same is equivalent to saying that you have an F1 car because they have four wheels in common.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Ecoboost sets New top speed record at Daytona