Coolant pukes out of overflow bottle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant pukes out of overflow bottle

New here,I have 2013 ecoboost 4x4 with only 3400 miles,I have smelled coolant sense it was new and even worse when I tow,butt engine never overheats.My temp gauge always stays just below half,every time I stop and pop the hood there is coolant all over left side from coolant bottle. This last weekend I went up to mountains, when I arrived I popped open hood and coolant bottle filled all the way to the top and puked coolant,engine was off and I could pop the cap and didn't steam out like an engine that would be overheating. I had my buddy bring me up a new cap from Ford just to see if it would fix the problem without going to dealer.
The next morning I filled the coolant bottle in between the cold fill lines and put the new cap on then drove about 5 miles only driving about 35 miles an hour on curvy roads,I shut motor off then went into store when I came out there was coolant all over the ground,came out of coolant bottle. I left the bottle low and drove home. Took it to Ford yesterday, they reprogrammed my computer because of recalls.Today they called me and said they ran checks on everything and bottle was slightly over filled which it wasn't, before I went to dealer it was cold and level was under cold fill lines,they said they have a call into the engineers and would here something tomorrow.If anybody has had this problem please let me know.Thanks

Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats really strange cause my neighbor has a 13 5.0 f150 and its doing the same thing. Other than these two ive never heard anyone else experience this problem

Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM
I had a 2012 with the 5.0 and smelled coolant every once in a while butt could never see where it was coming from. I here from the Ford engineers today and results of block test. I'm hoping its not a head gasket I don't want my motor disassembled at 3500 miles.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Could this be caused by a faulty radiator cap perhaps? (not overflow tank cap)

Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I will keep a eye on mine since it is a '13, I don't think they have a radiator cap ?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM
The overflow cap is the radiator ,it's a closed loop system, I changed the cap while I was in the mountains.Picking up from dealer tomorrow they up dated computer and ran block test.It passed block test and all fans working correctly.Luckily my friend is the tech,so I know I'm not getting blown off. The engineers don't have an answer,they are still looking in to it, so I'm driving to desert this weekend with some altitude so I'm going to record the bottle when coolant is coming out of it after a 5 minute climb where it usually happens.Ill keep you guys posted,can't wait to see if the PCM updates did anything hopefully better gas mileage. Have a great weekend

Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM
I am new to this forum and am also having coolant problems. Have a 13 ecoboost and have smelled coolant since new, the hose that goes from the coolant recovery tank to the thermostat housing leaks at the bottle as well as the the thermostat housing end. Have been to the dealer 3 times about to be 4. Pessure test does not produce leaks, this only happens when u hot shutdown or switching back from using your heater. Thermal siphon runs through that thermostat housing hose, 2nd time at dealer they replaced hose clamps and that didnt work. Went back today all pissed and they decided to order all new recovery bottle, cap, and hoses connected to that bottle including clamps. Waiting on parts then they will fix it. OP check your thermostat housing and i bet you also have coolant pooling up there, not very easy to spot because of turbo hoses in the way. I have a feeling early 13 production models have a flaw with that recovery bottle and hose, due to pressure, bad parts, thermal syphon, higher boost levels, who knows? Will post back after dealer fixes and let u know. Here are some pictures. http://s962.photobucket.com/user/clhbrickhouse/library/

Last edited by clhbrickhouse; 11-07-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: upload pictures
Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Got truck back from dealer and so far its not leaking anymore.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would still check the coolant for hydro carbons.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Sure sounds like head gaskets, but hopefully its something much more simple.
I have had 2 2013 Eboosts and I have not had issues with either one of them. One was built in Nov 2012, and one was in Dec 2012.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F 1Fiddy
Sure sounds like head gaskets, but hopefully its something much more simple.
I have had 2 2013 Eboosts and I have not had issues with either one of them. One was built in Nov 2012, and one was in Dec 2012.
Yeah first thing that came to mind as well

Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Not sure if dealer checked for hydrocarbons, I think they just pressurized the cooling system. Havent noticed any leaking from new hoses but since headgasket was mentioned I did look under the oil cap and found some milk under the cap. Checked the dipstick and no milk, hopefully this milky oil cap is do to short trips and the weather getting colder. My explorer use to make milk on the oil cap so hopefully this is normal. My ecoboost has never overheated but then again these trucks can use the direct injection as a coolant which might explain the poor gas mileage.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Coolant has started leaking from housing once again, took back to dealer and asked them to check for hydrocarbons and the service advisor argued saying they dont do that here. Anyways now they are replacing the housing and the thermostat, along with the gaskets. Will have to see if this fixes problem

Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Sorry for not updating on my issue but, the leak was fixed by replacing thermostat housing. The tech showed me the housing and it had a small pin hole in the top corner of it. It would build up pressure and seep. Just a defective part. Been a year and no leaks.

Quick Reply: Coolant pukes out of overflow bottle