Slight stumble/misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight stumble/misfire

So...

I finally got my '99 4.2 put back together....I bought it totally pulled apart with a bad head gasket diagnosis.

I replaced the all the gaskets, new plugs, oil pump, CPS sensor, and cleaned a LOT of carbon off the top of the pistons.

It runs very smooth, idles perfect, and is super quiet. The weird thing is I have this strange stumble or misfire once I hit about 2k RPM that continues through about 3k RPM. Seems worse when it's under a load...like a hill. No codes are being thrown...but I can feel it. It's like a jerk that continues through the RPM range. I can feel it when I rev the engine in neutral also, but not as obvious....more of a harmonic vibration. I've got a hard hot start condition going on also. Starts perfect after a couple of turns when cold....once hot...I will need to crank for what seems like forever...but probably 8-10 seconds.

A little back story...I started out with the Autolite 5144's...but after doing some research, I switched to the Motorcraft finewires...VAST improvement. I also bought a new coil pack thinking that might fix the issue....but it didn't. I have the Autolite wires. Fuel filter has been changed.

The only thing I didn't really do anything with other than new o rings was the injectors. Think that might be the issue? Vac lines seem good...I checked and double checked. What else should I look for?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Checked fuel pressure yet? Some vacuum leaks are a b!t$h to find!! I would also look at the spark when it starts to miss/stumble. Your issue sounds a little bit like mine but I have a vibration all the time.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Yes...bought a fuel gauge and I'm holding steady at 32 at idle...goes up a bit when revving, and settles back down. Pulled the vac line off the regulator and fuel pressure shot up to 40...which I read is normal. No fuel smell coming from the regulator. I thought maybe it was the head temp sensor, but I did replace that when I did the head gasket. The only other temp related thing would be the sensor in the air intake.

This wknd, I cleaned the IAC...no help. Today, I ordered new injectors, and a regulator. I've read in several places one of the injectors could be leaking and causing the hard hot start problem, and the hesitation/bucking....so if it's not that...I'm not sure where to look at next.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Is there a check engine light on?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check to see if U are holding coolant system pressure and not suffering from a slow PSI leak. Likely U have a problem with UR work and it is still malfing. If UR head gasket or intake is leaking PSI it will allow steam into the combustion cylinder causing a RPM misfire type of problem. That cylinders piston will look like it is steam cleaned over some time. This can lead to the dreaded hydro lock damaged Malf. U probably haven't got a secure seal somewhere on the head. Just a steady drip of a drop of water into the combustion can bring about the high rpm miss.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-09-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Well....FINALLY problem solved. It was the injectors. I replaced them this evening, and the stumble is completely gone. Hot start problem is fixed, and it runs great...so much more throttle response and torque.

On a side note...anybody looking to do this job should stay away from the Herko injectors on Ebay...at least my experience was bad with them. They sent me 2 bad injectors, so after all the work of putting them in it ran like crap and smoked like I've never seen. I pulled them out again, and I could completely blow through two of them. I will say though they did not give me any crap about returning them. I ordered some other OEM injectors from another guy on Ebay that were twice the price, but defiantly worth it.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Did you check Rock Auto prices on injectors? They have new OEM, new aftermarket, and remans.

Quick Reply: Slight stumble/misfire