New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high

Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high

Hello everyone;

I just rolled over the 400 mile mark on my new ecoboost and had something happen today that was kinda new.

I am located in Texas and it has been pretty hot lately. When I started the F150, the engine fans almost immediately went into overdrive. I am not sure if they were blowing at their highest setting, but they sure were loud. I figured it would calm down once on the road, but they kept going what sounded like full-speed. (I could hear it from within the cab).

After a 40 minute drive, I decided to pull over and check under the hood. I turned off my truck, looked under the hood, saw nothing unusual and started it back up. Once again the fan(s) spun up to full speed, but once on the road for several minutes, they finally calmed down and occasionally (when traffic slowed down) would spin back up.

To give you an idea, it was probably around 98 degrees here today, but I have never experienced this with my Explorer. Especially not the 45 minute period earlier today during which they were going full blast.

Is this normal? Or are these break-in pains?

Thanks all!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Not an EB owner, but from experiences with vehicles that don't have viscous coupling clutch fan (eg: traditional engine fan powered by belt), they will do that. I have a Jeep Compass and we just went thru a couple days in the low to mid 90's and it would do the same thing and you could hear it inside the cabin too.

Whereas in my '07, the only time that fan clutch engages fully is if I'm towing something in wicked how weather or I idle for more than 15 minutes in hot weather and then get up and go. Now that sounds louder than any electric fan. People have made comments that my truck's fan sounded louder than 387 Pete getting cooled down.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the response ... the noise those (jet!) fans were producing and the amount of time they were running on high caught me by surprise but what you are saying makes sense and I am glad to see other vehicles have it too. This being a brand new vehicle and so many years newer (and more technically advanced) than my previous car, I am still trying to soak everything in

Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Electric fans? Was the A/C on?

Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Yes Sir; on both counts. Yesterday the fans were running normal again.

Originally Posted by glc
Electric fans? Was the A/C on?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It may have been A/C related - if the system pressure is high the fans will run hard to cool it down.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Mine does that as well. I just hit 2000 miles on mine and it has been doing it since a few hundred miles. I have been told it is heat related as well with temps being around 106' here, but I guess once it cools off some we will see.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds normal to me, mine does it if the A/C is on when I start the truck. There are two fans, one normally comes on with the A/C and one to cool the motor. However, they can both be ran if the truck needs extra cooling.

Or to put into terms a Texan can relate to, "That noise makes yer air conditioning work better".

Old 08-09-2013, 05:56 PM
My fans have been at full tilt boogie a majority of engine run time for days now. The outside temperature gauge reading anywhere from 98 to 104, AC running.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Thats normal for the ecoboost fans. If its that hot out they will keep running on high.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Also when you hear ticking its the engine nothing to worry about or black smoke coming out ( only when its negative out)

Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Bought my 2013 Ecoboost last weekend and have same issue. Went to drivethrough this week and could barely hear due to the fan. From what I have been reading, this is the way it is programmed for high temps.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Unhappy Crazy!!!!

I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear

I really don't care if this is 'usual' - it is annoying. My new truck has 850 miles on it, we live in Florida where we are just starting into the warm weather and there is no way I can put up with this!

Today it ran for the majority of my trip in town. People next to me would look thinking there was some jet engine next to them.

I have never experienced anything like this and am very unhappy.

I am trading this thing in for a V8. I should have looked here first prior to buying and the dealership sold me on the increased power and fuel economy of the V6 - the fuel economy sucks and the power is nothing to write to mom about.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 5.0's have e fans too, so probably set to do the same thing?? Not sure if the 6.2 has e fans or not??

I had the opposite... I had never heard my fans come on ever... It finally got over 70 degrees one day and it wasn't until I switched on the A/C that they finally kicked in...

They were pretty loud, but I'd rather have that then an overheated rig.. Especially when I start towing my TT with it this summer..

Mitch

Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old ford
I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear

I really don't care if this is 'usual' - it is annoying. My new truck has 850 miles on it, we live in Florida where we are just starting into the warm weather and there is no way I can put up with this!

Today it ran for the majority of my trip in town. People next to me would look thinking there was some jet engine next to them.

I have never experienced anything like this and am very unhappy.

I am trading this thing in for a V8. I should have looked here first prior to buying and the dealership sold me on the increased power and fuel economy of the V6 - the fuel economy sucks and the power is nothing to write to mom about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high