New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high

Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with fan and A/C

I purchased an F150 XLT w/ Ecoboost 2 months ago. I noticed the high fan noise as well but assumed it was something connected to keeping the turbo cool. Now, less than 4K miles on the truck and the AC fan has quit working. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by jfbhorn
I purchased an F150 XLT w/ Ecoboost 2 months ago. I noticed the high fan noise as well but assumed it was something connected to keeping the turbo cool. Now, less than 4K miles on the truck and the AC fan has quit working. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. Thanks.
No but you better get it checked before it does any harm.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Bad Fan!!

I just purchased a F150 FX2 a month ago. Sure wish I read all this about the fan before I bought. So unhappy now with this truck due to this loud fan....for all the reason I've read here. Can't believe Ford won't do anything about it and come up with a better design. These fans need a recall and they need to take care of the consumer. My last Ford truck unless it changes! By the way....makes no difference if it's V6 or V8 because mine is a V8 so don't switch without testing.

Last edited by thegrande; 09-05-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by thegrande
I just purchased a F150 FX2 a month ago. Sure wish I read all this about the fan before I bought. So unhappy now with this truck due to this loud fan....for all the reason I've read here. Can't believe Ford won't do anything about it and come up with a better design. These fans need a recall and they need to take care of the consumer. My last Ford truck unless it changes! By the way....makes no difference if it's V6 or V8 because mine is a V8 so don't switch without testing.
V8 Ecoboost?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A recall for a working item? That's a new one

Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Yep understand and hope you got one with AC that works!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 PM
So the 5.0 has this extra loud fan too? Sorry to hear that. My Ford mechanic said"unless enough people complain, Ford won't do anything about it". Keep complaining. My concern besides the noise, is the longevity of that fan. Sounds like it's ready to blow when it's on! Crap engineering if you ask me. Like I said before, if that fan had come on during the test drive, I wouldn't have bought the truck.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Not sure Ford would recall an intentionally designed component that (for the most part) works. It's not the best solution to the problem Ford was solving but it was most likely the most cost effective solution for them (and ultimately you the consumer.) Personally, slapping in high velocity electric fans is more of a band-aid than a proper redesigning (and solution) to the underlying problem but it works.

I live in north Texas where it's hot and humid so I hear my fans a lot. Don't like it - but I like the truck (overall) that I'm tolerant of the fans.

I had an '09 Flex that had the exact same fan design and I would get the crazy loud fan noise in that as well. What I don't get in the F150 that I had in the 3.5 V6 was the accessory drag when the A/C compressor would kick on.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by timefortimer
Not sure Ford would recall an intentionally designed component that (for the most part) works. It's not the best solution to the problem Ford was solving but it was most likely the most cost effective solution for them (and ultimately you the consumer.) Personally, slapping in high velocity electric fans is more of a band-aid than a proper redesigning (and solution) to the underlying problem but it works.

I live in north Texas where it's hot and humid so I hear my fans a lot. Don't like it - but I like the truck (overall) that I'm tolerant of the fans.

I had an '09 Flex that had the exact same fan design and I would get the crazy loud fan noise in that as well. What I don't get in the F150 that I had in the 3.5 V6 was the accessory drag when the A/C compressor would kick on.

I have the 2013 with a 5.0 and get the compressor drag when it kicks in. It is more prevalent when you are stopped and taking off.

The tornado fans do nothing for my poorly operating ac.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... These fans need a recall and they need to take care of the consumer. My last Ford truck unless it changes!...
You should do a little bit of studying and learn that a recall is only for safety related issues. A loud fan isn't going to kill, mane or injure anyone. They can't and won't recall a vehicle for this issue.

Folks, you're just going to have to learn to live with the loud fans no matter what emblem is on the hood. The electric fans are much better than the old engine driven belt fans is everything but noise. The e fan speed can be scaled to meet cooling demand, they use considerable less energy to turn, can turn much higher RPMs, pull significantly more air and do not hurt gas mileage. Meanwhile the engine fan just spins around stealing horsepower and mileage. The only benefit they have is being quiet. Of course, that's because they aren't pulling near as much air as the e fan.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
You should do a little bit of studying and learn that a recall is only for safety related issues. A loud fan isn't going to kill, mane or injure anyone. They can't and won't recall a vehicle for this issue.

Folks, you're just going to have to learn to live with the loud fans no matter what emblem is on the hood. The electric fans are much better than the old engine driven belt fans is everything but noise. The e fan speed can be scaled to meet cooling demand, they use considerable less energy to turn, can turn much higher RPMs, pull significantly more air and do not hurt gas mileage. Meanwhile the engine fan just spins around stealing horsepower and mileage. The only benefit they have is being quiet. Of course, that's because they aren't pulling near as much air as the e fan.
I disagree with you! My wife's Edge and my son's Explorer do nothing like this!

Just like the folks that complained that they had cooling issue and Ford made this change to help it, we have to complain to let them know its not the right way to address the issue.

As always, I respect others opinions though!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Originally Posted by jfbhorn
Hey jfbhorn,

I'd like to look into this. Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Hey thegrande,

Congrats on your new F-150! I'll gladly document your product feedback. To do so, shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

Old 09-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by f150nsb
So the 5.0 has this extra loud fan too? Sorry to hear that. My Ford mechanic said"unless enough people complain, Ford won't do anything about it". Keep complaining. My concern besides the noise, is the longevity of that fan. Sounds like it's ready to blow when it's on! Crap engineering if you ask me. Like I said before, if that fan had come on during the test drive, I wouldn't have bought the truck.
Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
I disagree with you! My wife's Edge and my son's Explorer do nothing like this!

Just like the folks that complained that they had cooling issue and Ford made this change to help it, we have to complain to let them know its not the right way to address the issue.

As always, I respect others opinions though!
Hey f150nsb and digitaltrucker,

I'll gladly document your product feedback. To do so, shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey f150nsb and digitaltrucker,

I'll gladly document your product feedback. To do so, shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick
Its already been don, no help! But thanks!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Its already been don, no help! But thanks!
You're welcome, digitaltrucker. I'll be here if you need me.

Nick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high