Ecoboost overheat and shudder first thing in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost overheat and shudder first thing in the morning

2013 Ecoboost with about 1000 miles on it. the last 3 days when I went out to start it, I noticed that it was shaking enough to make the bed jump around a little and shake the tailpipe quite a bit. Then after getting in and running about a minute or so, the 4" screen would come up with an engine overtemp warning. The gauges all were all the way to the left and reading as cold as they can get.

I turned it off and back on and it was fine, but this is concerning since it is brand new. The second tank of gas in it was Chevron 93. The current tank of gas is Chevron 91 and it started doing this the day after going to the 91. Any cooerlation?

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Take it to the dealer.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 PM

Definitely take it to the dealer. Can't be any correlation that I can think of. That's very peculiar, but absolutely not okay for a brand new truck to be doing

Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Going in to the dealer today. This morning, it did the same thing again twice. Drove it down and made it to the end of the street and noticed the check engine light came on. I also had traction control lights come on and the back end started sliding around on the way into work.

This is going to be the third time I have had it in for service in the three weeks I have had it.

I called the dealership I bought it from and they said I would have to have it towed in to the closest dealership to where I am at. That dealership is one that I would consider less than reputable. Furthermore, they do not provide any type of loaned vehicle while my truck is being serviced, so I am left s.o.l..

I am starting to think I made a mistake in buying a new truck.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by BrianD
2013 Ecoboost with about 1000 miles on it. the last 3 days when I went out to start it, I noticed that it was shaking enough to make the bed jump around a little and shake the tailpipe quite a bit. Then after getting in and running about a minute or so, the 4" screen would come up with an engine overtemp warning. The gauges all were all the way to the left and reading as cold as they can get.

I turned it off and back on and it was fine, but this is concerning since it is brand new. The second tank of gas in it was Chevron 93. The current tank of gas is Chevron 91 and it started doing this the day after going to the 91. Any cooerlation?

Thanks.
When I was looking fer a new truck last year, one of the brand new ecoboosts I was gonna test drive did the same thing when they started it. I asked them to find another'n fer me to test out. It shook too, but not as much.

Definitely take it to the dealer. Document, document, document EVERYTHING here as much as possible. Video it happening, etc. Did I mention to document everything?

Best of luck to ya! Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Roadside assistance just came and picked it up to take it in. The tow truck they sent was some little lightweight Isuzu flatbed. When he loaded my truck on the back, the front wheels of his truck lifted off the ground. he said it is not a problem. He tows F350 dually's all the time. Hmm, I am really glad this is being done through Ford and I have insurance.

The dealer I purchased it from said they would cover the rental for me if needed.

Update: I just spoke with the dealer. They said that there was no service light on and the computer is not showing any codes. Glad I got pictures of it.

Last edited by BrianD; 07-15-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM

Jeez. When can it be lemon lawed? After 5 visits for the same thing? Nice to know that some issues were fixed for the '13 Ecos, only to have some others arise. I hope there's some kind of easy fix for you. That's unbelievable

Dewser, how can a dealer expect to sell trucks when their brand new ones are doing that?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Dewser, how can a dealer expect to sell trucks when their brand new ones are doing that?
No idea, bud. But it was one of the main factors in my decision to buy the 5.0.

What's really crazy about it is my wife even noticed the shaking in the ecoboost and whispered to me, "Is that normal?" I whispered back, "Shouldn't be, but watch this." So I asked the salesman, "Is this shaking normal?" He said, "Oh yeah they all do that."

Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DewserB
No idea, bud. But it was one of the main factors in my decision to buy the 5.0.

What's really crazy about it is my wife even noticed the shaking in the ecoboost and whispered to me, "Is that normal?" I whispered back, "Shouldn't be, but watch this." So I asked the salesman, "Is this shaking normal?" He said, "Oh yeah they all do that."

Well if you had gotten an Ecoboost, you wouldn't have had the pleasure of trying all these different exhaust set ups! But the funny thing is, he really wasn't lying!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Seems like Ford still doesn't have a handle on ecoboost. I will stick to an NA'd truck for awhile longer I think.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
5.0 or 6.2 for me!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM
io

So I went by the dealer after work to pick up a loaner car. They put me in Kia Rio .

Anyway, While I was waiting for the rental car to get there, the service advisor told me they had 2 other Ecoboost, an F150 and a Fusion, in for the same issue that had been there for over a month. Mine was the second one in today for that issue. She said they have had Ford engineers in and out looking at the first two on and off every week. They were filing the paperwork to have the Fusion replaced under the Lemon law since they could not figure out what was wrong, but they were holding out on the F150.

This was certainly not what I wanted to hear.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM

It isn't helping the guy for all of us to say that we'd prefer one of the V8s!

Brian, definitely let us know how this all unfolds. Especially because I'm sure there are others like you with similar issues going on. If the dealership keeps denying that any codes are being thrown, take it to Autozone or some place like that and they'll read it. The code(s) should have been stored and they still be on the truck's computer. I'm sure they could get a print out for you to how the dealer as well.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Oooh . . . I agree that I wouldn't want hear that. But at least there's a precedent for a Lemon with that Fusion. I wish you the best with this whole ordeal

Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
I thought about pulling the codes this morning when I first saw them, but I didn't have time to go back home on my way to work. Figured it was new/covered under warranty so not a problem.

When I got it, I did all the normal research about the Ecoboost vs the 5.0 and everything I was seeing was saying how great it was.. Oh well, stuck with it now unless Lemon law does come into play.

I just really do not want to drive around for a month in a dam Kia. I didn't pay $45k to drive a $5k pos.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost overheat and shudder first thing in the morning