Oil seeping from oil filler tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil seeping from oil filler tube

I noticed I was losing a tiny bit of oil from where the oil filler tube connects. It had come lose a few times in the past. It does have a rubber ring, but I added some black rtv too. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You might need to replace that o-ring.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ManualF150
You might need to replace that o-ring.
Yeah, I think the black rtv gasket maker should hold up. If not, I'll just get the whole new oil filler tube with the o ring. I cleaned off the valve cover completely so I'll be able to tell if its leaking. At least it was leaving from a place I can easily fix and not a seal somewhere else.

I let the rtv set for a bit before reinstalling to made sure none would drip inside.

Besides oil and fuel and air filters, I did my first tiny bit of maintenance. Changed the front pads, cleaned the tb and maf, changed the serpentine belt and ran a couple tanks with techron. Truck is running great at 63k.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Yeah, I think the black rtv gasket maker should hold up. If not, I'll just get the whole new oil filler tube with the o ring. I cleaned off the valve cover completely so I'll be able to tell if its leaking. At least it was leaving from a place I can easily fix and not a seal somewhere else.

I let the rtv set for a bit before reinstalling to made sure none would drip inside.

Besides oil and fuel and air filters, I did my first tiny bit of maintenance. Changed the front pads, cleaned the tb and maf, changed the serpentine belt and ran a couple tanks with techron. Truck is running great at 63k.
Hopefully it isn't your intake manifold leaking oil like mine did. It leaked oil right down the side of the crankcase. Forgot which side, but luckily it was under warranty. They UV dyed the oil to pin point where it was coming from. Made no difference in performance. But the oil on the side of the block was annoying for something that had like 32k on it at the time.

Mine has 53k on it now, but I hardly drive it. I used to put 10k on it a year, now it's ~3k a year... if that.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM

I also had an oil leak issue while under warranty. Something to do with the harmonic balancer being severely grooved. They fixed it for free.

As far as this current, well ex leak (drove 200 miles today and there's no new oil), it was 100% coming from where the oil filler tube screws into the valve cover. You could see exactly where it leaked and had dripped down. Every time id remove the oil cap, the whole filler tube would unscrew no matter how tight it was. I think the rt should also secure it. But if not, like I said, I'll just get a new filler tube.

Your truck doesn't get much use these days. I drove from Florida to New York and back four times within the last two months.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I also had an oil leak issue while under warranty. Something to do with the harmonic balancer being severely grooved. They fixed it for free.

As far as this current, well ex leak (drove 200 miles today and there's no new oil), it was 100% coming from where the oil filler tube screws into the valve cover. You could see exactly where it leaked and had dripped down. Every time id remove the oil cap, the whole filler tube would unscrew no matter how tight it was. I think the rt should also secure it. But if not, like I said, I'll just get a new filler tube.

Your truck doesn't get much use these days. I drove from Florida to New York and back four times within the last two months.
You know... lol I misread your original post. I thought you meant the dipstick holder. Surprised glc didn't catch it...

Anyhow, I'm glad you got it fixed.

Yeah, my truck hasn't been getting much use. Heck, I took it to work today, first time I drove it since like two weeks ago. Nice driving it. The furthest my truck has ever been was Rochester, NY and that was like 4 years ago? Maybe longer. Other than that it just sits in the garage collecting dust. Not a bad thing I suppose.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully that might not be of your consumption numerous dripping oil like my own did. It released oil right down the part of the crankcase. Didn't remember which part, but fortunately it was under assurance. They colored the oil to pin factor where it was arriving from. Created no distinction in performance. But the oil on the part of the securer was frustrating for something that had like 34k on it at enough time.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jameslacosta
Hopefully that might not be of your consumption numerous dripping oil like my own did. It released oil right down the part of the crankcase. Didn't remember which part, but fortunately it was under assurance. They colored the oil to pin factor where it was arriving from. Created no distinction in performance. But the oil on the part of the securer was frustrating for something that had like 34k on it at enough time.
Yeah, my problem has been solved. It was definitely leaking from the filler tube and running down the engine. After sealing it with rtv, I cleaned off all the oil. After 500+ miles, there's not a single new drop.

Quick Reply: Oil seeping from oil filler tube